Axolotl not eating and gone very very thin

mike

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Mike East
Hi Guys
Great site i have learned much about my axolotls, i have an albino and two brown ones. The brown ones we bought the same time august 2006, they were both about 5" long, problem is the one has grown very quickly and is very active and healthy but the other one has got thinner and is still only about 5" now, he has been floating in the tank and now does not look well at all, he will not eat at all. I have just placed him in the fridge after reading advise on here. The other two are fine. I have checked water and that has been fine. Moved him to another tank on his own as the other one accidently had him in his mouth yesterday trying to steal a worm.

Is putting him in the fridge the right thing to do and is there anything else we can do to save him, i fear he has not got long to live

Mike

You could try changing food, mine has just got sick of his food and stopped eating it i went to the pet shop this morning and he ate his new food no problem.

putting in the fridge is a great idea and will slow his metabolism down in order to give his body a chance to heal.

As he is smaller than the other, then separate them, when he eventually comes out as you might find he ends up in his mouth again. When you feed do you just drop the food in, leave it in a bowl or what? If that is the case then he may be missing out because the other axie is stronger and able to get the food first.

That seems to be normal, my babies I got were all the same size when I got them, 1cm a few months ago but there is a distinct size difference in the 5 of them now and I have separated the smaller ones into individual tubs (1/2 inch size difference) from the bigger ones and am feeding them. They seem to be doing alot better now.

Thanks for the replies guys, he is still with us been in fridge 24 hours now and seems a little livelier, put in in a seperate tank tonight but he still will not eat. We feed them worms, blood worm mainly.
He is now in our laundry room which is very cool especially at night. Should is still keep him in the fridge.

Food wise he will take a small worm but just spit it out, he wont touch the blood worm

Mike

Hi Karrie yes we have tried that he will not eat anything at the moment.

A bit of success today after moving back to a tank and letting him settle for a few hours he has eaten 2 live crickets and 3 meal worms and seems much more lively. Hopefully he will no go from strength to strength
Thanks again for all the advise

Mike

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back