Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Very Sick Axolotl Please HELP!!!!

W

william

Hi there...
I got an axo few days ago.. it hasnt been eating since i bought it 4 days ago. my ph is neutral and now its skin seems to be broken.. and fungus ad cotton start to grow. tonight i has lost its right gills and right arm.. i've just done a salt bath.. ive used melafix and pimafix in my tank for around 1 day already.. wat should i do next?

kapo

Reaction score
How big is your tank - in measurements? How long was your tank setup before you added your axie and did you cycle your tank? see: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

Apart from pH what are your other water parameters: ammonia, nitrITEs and nitrATEs? If your tank is uncycled, these readings are even more important than pH alone as ammonia and nitrite can be quite toxic. Also what is your tank temperature?

W

william

my tank's temp is about 23 but should i put ice to bring it down? i cant just stick my whole tank into the fridge right? its a 45 litre tank.. i hav plants in the tank that will help with ammonia and i put "cyle" evryday to create good bacteria for it.. what else should i do? thanks kapo

kapo

Reaction score
actually quit using the cycle - this won't help it at all; and how long has your tank been running - around the same time as you put your axie in or longer? The plants may help with ammonia but if your tank is uncycled and your axie has been in since day 1 of your cycle then; and you haven't done a waterchange or tested your water for the 3 things i mentioned then your axie is getting sick and stressed due to a: heat and b: possible ammonia levels.

Don't put icecubes in it; two reasons if it's just tapwater it can kill at worst or make your axie even sicker and icecubes cause fluctuating temperatures which can be stressful for axies. I wouldn't worry about the temperature at this stage. Most importantly deal with your axie.

Firstly, take your axie out of the tank and put him in a container of dechlorinated water; a tupperware one, or other plastic one that has a lid. This is just in case your ammonia levels are high and causing the skin to "break"

I think you should fridge him for the next day or two until you test your tank for ammonia/nitrites and nitrates- this will slow his metabolism down and allow him time to destress and possibly heal without the added stress of heat increasing.

As long as your fridge temperature is above 4degrees celcius, he should be fine. (ours is usually 5-6 degrees celcius when we fridge our sick ones) To check your fridge temperature, place a glass of water with a thermometer in back of the fridge and check it in 30minutes.

If temperature is above 4deg; then put the lid on the container, wrap it in a teatowel (to stop temp fluctuations and light flashing from opening door) and place him in the fridge.

You will need to do 100% complete waterchanges, and as he has fungus (rather than treat with melafix/pimafix) do twice daily saltbaths (2-3 teaspoons of salt per litre/pint for 10minutes -15minutes maximum).

Keep a few bottles of dechlorinated water in the fridge too (the waterchange and saltbaths have to be the same temperature as the one he's been in; otherwise you could stress him); or alternatively one bottle (empty soft drink bottle) of dechlorinated water and use another container with lid - filled with dechlorinated water. This extra container can be used for the saltbath or waterchange (whichever you decide - probably easier for saltbath).

Add the salt to this one just b4 time to do a saltbath, transfer your axie into this first saltbath, then just transfer him straight back into his chilled hospital container and place him back in the fridge. Wash out the saltbath container using a mixture of baking soda and water and rinse well, then fill with dechlorinated water and return to fridge.

When time for 2nd saltbath; follow as above, but while he's having the bath, wash out his hospital container with baking soda and water, rinse and fill with the bottle of chilled dechlorinated water, in the bottle in the fridge. Once bath is finished return axie to this one and clean out his saltbath container.

Sounds a lot of work, but it's worth it, if it helps to destress him and get rid of the fungus. Also, the fridge will slow his metabolism down so he may not eat if your fridge temperature is lower than 8 degrees celcius.

Now back to your tank! While he's in the fridge, take a sample of your water to the petshop (use any foodsafe container (I use vegemite jars - washed only with baking soda and water never detergents); and ask them to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. Get them to write the figures down and come back here and post it.

(Don't let the petshop try and sell you quick fix remedies/things to try and get rid of the ammonia like ammolock, if your tank is cycling this doesn't help at all.)

Cycling can take anywhere from 2/3 weeks up to 8 weeks.

Is your tank length about 60cm x 30cm wide? I'm taking a guess, cos I'm useless at guessing litres; if it is it's okay size for one axie.

Does he have any other tankmates and what size is he?

And, don't forget to read the cycling article, if you haven't already, its very important.

(Message edited by kapo on December 20, 2006)

N

natashja

just a tiny foot note on the saltbath dose a pint and a liter is not the same
1 liter = 2 pints
so 2-3 teaspoons pr liter/ 2pints.

W

william

thx alot kapo.. this morning when i check the fungus are gone ut i think the axolotl is still stressed.. should i still put it in the fridge and follow your steps in healint it? wat bout salt bath? how long do i hav to do this for?will the fridge temp help the healing of wounds? maybe regenerate the arms n gill?

W

william

one more thing.. when i do a 100% water change.. i usually put " aqua plus " and "cycle" in the water.. should i still put those?

kapo

Reaction score
Amber the daily 100% waterchange is for when he puts it in the fridge.

William - still put him in the fridge with the daily changes to his hospital container. Only continue the salt baths if he still has the fungus or looks like he has an infection. Don't use cycle in the tank or his container. Does Aquaplus remove chlorine and/or chloramines from tapwater - read the label and if it does make sure all the tapwater you use either for tank waterchanges and to change his hospital (fridge) container have this in. You should always keep a bottle of dechlorinated water (tapwater treated with water conditioner/ager/dechorinator to remove chlorine) in the fridge at the same time as his hospital container, as I mentioned in earlier thread.

Natasha - thanks for correction over pint/2pints; and sorry William bit tired this morning when I was typing thread (it was the early hours for me - about 2.30am); but no excuse.

W

william

thx.. my axo is now in the fridger i've done 1 more salt bath coz the other feet started to have fungus and there's only bones left in some of the toes.. very poor axolotl.. i hope it gets well.. now im goin to do a 100% water change and re establish my tank.. and i hope by tomorow it will be still alive.. oh yeah.. should i change the water daily that is in the fridge? how long do i leave it there for?

N

natashja

hey dont sweat it
biggrin.gif
you are not the only one to write it, besides i think most people in here know
smile6.gif

N

natashja

hey william
yes do 100% water changes on the container in the fridge just like kapo writes.
and you keep the little baby in the fridge until the fungus goes away and you begin to see healing.
this can take a very long time, as in several weeks

im keeping my fingers crossed for you

kapo

Reaction score
William -- Don't do the 100% waterchange on your tank, as you will be washing any good bacteria which may have started establishing. Most importantly get your water tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates at the petshop and get the figures from them. Better yet, buy a test kit for each item and start testing the water and it will give you a better idea of the cycling process of your tank. You can buy them individually cheaply or as a Freshwater Master test kit set, which also includes low ph range and high ph range, for approx $50-$70 (it may be cheaper in Australia).

W

william

thx for all ur advice guys.. i've done a 75% water change in my tank as it has got melafix and pimafix from previous treatment.. so yeah.. its better for me to change more.. now my axo is in the fridge i think its recovering as no fungus growth can be seen.. and i hope its arms will regenerate. hehe.. should i put ammo lock in my tank? wat about cycle? coz it contains bacteria that is necessary for tank cycle.. how long should i leave the tank for? and should i keep my axo in the fridge till its arms regenerate? and should i feed it? wil it eat?

kapo

Reaction score
No do not use any chemicals like ammolock, ph up or ph down, and no to cycle. It's pretty debatable whether cycle actually has bacteria to cycle your tank. I was also given it for one of my tanks but never used it - thought it was a waste of time. Also, using them could actually throw your cycle off and may take even weeks longer. It's just as easy to cycle a tank, using a small piece of meat/axie poo or prawn. You can also cycle your tank with your axie in the tank - as you were doing (but you need to test your tankwater every day or two days to make sure it's safe enough for your axie; and if not - ie high levels of ammonia - then do a 20-30% waterchange).

You can help the good bacteria establish a bit faster in your axie tank by adding filter media from an established tank (just make sure you keep it damp in between transferrring from other tank to your axie tank).

William, did you read the cycling link I posted earlier? - this should explain things about how to cycle with or without animals.

Your axie in the fridge: Keep him in the fridge for another few days up to a week; to make sure all fungus has gone and it will allow him to destress (in the cooler temperature) and help him to heal. His front legs will regenerate, but take a couple of weeks or so - the amount of time it takes depends on the age of the axie and water conditions. Younger axies (under 10cm) do regenerate their limbs/gills/tail faster than older axies (20cm+ size).

Offer food just before your daily waterchanges. It may not eat if your fridge temperature is below 8 degrees celcius as its metabolism slows down to allow it to heal and destress.

As i said in the previous thread, either buy test kits for the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (so you know when your tank is cycled or whereabouts in the cycling process it is) or take a sample of tankwater to your petshop and get it tested and get the figures and post here if you don't understand.

W

william

hi everyone..
im sorry for my away.. being looking after my axolotl every day.. change water everyday.. i was wondering, why hasnt the arm grown back? its been a month already.. should i remove it from the fridge and put it back into my established tank? i need everyone's tips.. please post back ASAP.. thanks guys
happy.gif

heihei

Reaction score
His arm won't grow back immediately. With him being in the fridge it slowed his metabolism down.

Is your tank cycled yet, have you tested it to see if it's cycled. I would advise you do that before putting him back in the tank, if you haven't already. Also, with temperatures the way they have been in Australia, what has your tank temperature been sitting at?

W

william

thanks guys..
is it possible to keep it for more than a month?
and 1 more thing..
i noticed that snails started to grow in my tank coz i had a plant in it.. will it be okay?

heihei

Reaction score
Yes it is possible to have it in fridge longer, another axie did this during the summer months and took her axie out once it got cooler.

Better watch out with the snails reproducing , you might end up having more than you expected.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1