Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Very Active/strangley acting Axie - is he stressed? Some pics

camilla

Reaction score
Hey Guys, my axie, Bruce, has been really active in his tank.

He constantly swims from one end to the other. I don't know whether this is normal behaviour or not?

The temp of the tank has been high (21-23) it has been really hot here in Melbourne and Ive been cooling the tank with a fan whilst my boyfriend builds Bruce a chiller.

Ive only had him for 4 days, and he hasnt eaten as well. Ive tried pellets, liver and bloodworms.
The PH is 7.2

I'm not sure if he is displaying any kinds of stress so if you could please click on the links to the pics and have a look at him that would be great.

Im a b it worried, I don't want to kill my little friend!
sad.gif

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k45/camillaballs/P1010377.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k45/camillaballs/P1010380.jpg

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k45/camillaballs/P1010382.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

K

karrie

He looks healthy. He might just be stressed from the move to a new home 4 days is not to bad. When mine gets stressed I cover his tank and make nice and dark for a bit calms him down. I would take out the pebbles and put him on sand or bare bottom floor. When he eats, he will eat some of that as well block him up and cause all kinds of problems for him. You can use ice bottles as well.

L

lana

my little axolotl is very active too i have found it no problem really, he rests at night and sleeps in until i open the blinds. and when i got mine he did'nt eat for a couple of nights. (now he is a pig)

A

annmarie

I would just like to say your axolotl is beautiful and has amazing colours. I am always looking for one that looks similar.

Hopefully he will calm down soon, he is just probably nervous that he is in a new home. As for eating, he will eventually, some axolotls need time to adjust/

heihei

Reaction score
did you cycle your tank
Here is the link for cycling: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

Your axie may just be stressed from the move and settling in, but if your tank isn't cycled then that could be adding to it.

What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? If you don't have a test kit for these, take a sample of water to the petshop and get them to test for them and give you the results.

camilla

Reaction score
Thanks AnnMarie for the lovely comments on Bruce! I reckon he is a pretty spunky axie too

I'm going to get the test kits tomorrow in case its to do with the water ...

K

karrie

If you can get a drop test they are better than strip test.

S

susan

Bruce looks just like my Carlos same colouring and everything

J

jennifer

Regarding the pebbles, they are a possible problem, as Karrie pointed out. I would suggest fine sand or a semi-bare bottom. Some of the larger pebbles you have (too big to fit into his mouth) would look nice to decorate the sand or the tank bottom. Be sure he has some hiding places, like thick plants or tunnels, that will decrease stress. Keep the fan going!

camilla

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I've removed majority the stones and the floor is now all pebble and plants. He still hasn't eaten yet though
sad.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1