Sick

D

daniel

hey, i dont no this but are axolotls nocturnal? It seemes that during the day he is lingering at the bottom hidding and at night, he is swimming near the surface, floating and dooing wierd things...i havnt stayed up this late so this is the first time i notice this..is he ok? thx

yes they are nocturnal, but sometimes if they're disturbed or it's particularly busy near their tank during the day they will move a bit more.

Yeah, that sounds normal, mine are most active last thing at night and first thing in the morning. What are these weird things?

ok well mine have tose black spots too, but seriously, wheever i turn the filter off to feed he floats...and just stayed still at the surface..even when hes not eating..

also just wanted to add that from a top view , his right side has a lunp on it...
please answer asap thx

Have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and what is your tank temperature? If you don't have freshwater test kits for them , take a sample of water to your petshop and ask them to test it and give you the results.

Also, do you have gravel in the tank, if you do, it may be a piece of gravel he swallowed or something else he's eaten/swallowed.

(Message edited by heihei on January 09, 2007)

you can make them no longer nocturnal by turning the lights on at night and keep it dark during the day (only works well if you have the tank in an unused room)

well that's not really making it no longer nocturnal, as you're substituting darkness for night. My sister keeps all her axie tanks covered as they're in lounge/high traffic areas and only rolls part of the cover up when they get fed, but they are still pretty active at night and quiet/still during the day (I know as i have been axie sitting while they're holidaying)

okay
i havnt tested for anything
the water is cool
probably around 17 celcius, im gonna buy a tester, and i just wanted to know about the bump

Depends what things you've got in your tank as he could have just ran into something in the tank and that's caused the lump.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back