Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Somethings wrong!

H

heather

Hi,

l have read through the other forums and found them helpful, but l thought l better write my own as my axie (albino) has been unwell for 3 days now. lm worried as l really don't want to lose him. He is nearly 3 years old, fully mature as l have had 2 batchs of young last year. The other axies in the tank are all well and still doing the same thing. He is not eatting, floating around, there is a dark pink color through his body(only seen that twice when he was about to sperm everywhere). There is also a vein on it head now that was not there before, feathers has gotten smaller and there is some white on one tip, blood on the tip of his tail and the tail has gone bent - stress related? l took him out of the big tank and place him into one of my containers (large) that l use when lm cleaning the tank. He just sits there now not moving....at first l thought maybe it has been fighting again and just need a break from the others. l really dont want to place in fridge with young children, as they love my axies and are playing with them if l let them - they have never hurt one. The weather has been hot here these last few days in Melbourne, but l have had the air con on and it above my cover tank to help with the temp. If l have to salt bath what salt do you use? lm really worried to try anything as what if l do it wrong and l kill him. Temp of tank was around 26..... going to see if l can get him to eat some worms today - hopefully he will come well again. Does anyone have any more tips to offer?

l lost two babys around 8cms long on new years day, with a freinds kid and maybe that child got into my tank and did something to him. l am still not happy about the mother of the child.

Thanks for listerning to me!

S

susan

If you are going to salt bath you should do it for 10 minutes once or twice a day, you should use 2-3 teaspoons aquarium salt or non-iodized table salt per litre. Don't leave the axolotl in for more than 10-15 minutes each time, because the salt will start to damage the axolotl's skin and gills. But you should only salt bath if there are outward signs of fungus.

You could try adding frozen bottles of water to the tank to bring the temp down, I am having trouble myself getting it under 24Celsius. Either that or you could wait a couple of days and your temp should be freezing from your Melbourne weather hehe.

Also i would encourage your children not to play with the axi's as we can damage their skin just by handling them, kinda like a frog.

I hope all goes well for you and your little one gets better.

H

heather

Thank you Susan for your response to me lm very greatful. l hope he feels better soon as he was the first l ever brought. my children dont touch them much but if they have a chance they like to feel there skin and my walking fish love being tiggle (l call it) on the chin. l check the other 2 walking fish on there feathers but nothing like the albino red feathers. The temp is suppose to drop down here in the next few days , l will believe it when l see it - so far we where promise rain and it did not come. l will let you know how he is in a few days. thank you once again.

H

heather

Well he is still feeling un well, more active but still aint eatting. today l had to put a large rock in with him as he is trying to jump out of the container, he is gulping alot with the mouth wide open like it is choking.l have seen bits of mucus in the water. l tryed to help him by lifting him abit out of the water but did not help that much. He is like he need to throw up but cannot. Now he just floats staring at me if to say can't you help me. It hurting me to see him like this. His feathers and albino skin are still dark in colour, there is real dark red patch on the tip of his tail now. l will try to get a picture of him in the next few days.

(Message edited by bubba76 on January 07, 2007)

heihei

Reaction score
Have you tested your tank water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? The container you've put him in is the water changed daily or is it already cycled water (established tank water)? Are you able to put him in the fridge, this might help to calm him down.

H

heather

Thanks for the advice but he pasted away last night he just gave up....its like he had a brust of energy and then he wanted to go. R.I.P my friend.

The water was all fine and l changed the container every day....but unable to put in fridge cos of young children.

M

mary

Sorry to hear about your axie-
sad.gif

S

susan

Very Sorry to hear that Heather. It must of been hard but you did what you could and sometimes these things happen...... all the best for your other axies

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1