Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Daddys tail is starting to split- with pic

S

sarah

I noticed yesterday that his tail was starting to have little cracks, but today its starting to split right down.
73491.jpg

does anyone know why?

K

karrie

Mine did some thing like that. I thought the fake plants might be cutting his tail or a sharp rock. I took those out. He's tail got better. What do you have in your tank?

A

amber

Try adding a drop of pure aloe vera too. Mix it with some water first, then slowly add it to the tank.

Too much aloe too fast will make axolotl vomit.

S

sarah

hes been in a ice-cream container since he lost his leg, so there is nothing he can cut it on. however, its splitting more and now its starting to really bleed. Ive put him back in the fridge for now.
I do have an aloe vera plant in the backyard, i will add some of that into the water.

K

karrie

Maybe some thing with taking out when you clean the water in the icecream container. Maybe the net try a softer ones used for baby fisf/fry, a large brine shrimp net.

S

sarah

ok, ive just come back from the vet.
He claims that daddys skin is lacking 'slime' and just like us when our skin is dry it cracks and bleeds. He was not sure what to recomend but all he coud think of is stress coat with aloe vera. Seeing that i have 2 different types of aloe vera plants i will give it a go and add some of the aloe slime to the water. He is not sure if that will work but its worth a try.

S

sarah

ok the tail is starting to really split to the bone....tho its not bleeding as much anymore.

G

genevieve

I always add Stress Coat to my water, not only for the water conditioning benefits but because of the aloe exact that it contains. It really does do wonders for keeping the axies all slimed up. I don't know if pure aloe slime for your garden is a good or bad idea seeing as though the plant might contain chemicals from the environment that could hurt your axolotl- or even if it's in the right form for slime coat renewal. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Best of luck getting him better
sad.gif

A

amber

I use my aloe plant quite well - it's cleaner in many respects than the bottled stuff.

S

sarah

Just an update...
Daddy was in a fight again with buttercup and she pulled his tail where the split is and tore the rest of his tail off right to the bone and some if it is exposed. He did not bleed at all. but now hes legs are becomming short ans stumpy and so are his gills,he is also becomming darker and moving a lot slower and always floating for air altho hes got a airstone with him. i dont know what to do.

J

jason

hi that looks bad if mine had a tail like that i would be worried to i dont really know what to say but I always add Stress Coat to my water good for the water and its got aloe exact good luck hope everything turns out fine

A

annmarie

If your guys are fighting alot, maybe you should put in a tank divider or get one in another home.

When they fight, what are the circumstances? is it during feeding, looking for a sleeping places, or just any time they bump into each other? There can be many environmental factors to aggresion or it could just be a personality or both.

S

sarah

buttercup doesnt like dayyd at all, she likes rap tho. daddy has been taken out of the tank and put into a smaller one untill i find out how i can help him.

L

lana

i hope you axi is going to be ok! Buttercup sounds very naughty! I was thinking maybe you should put a little extra slime coat stuff in (But correct me if i am wrong i dont wanna make your axi worse) But yeh just a thought.

S

sarah

hes ok atm the tail is starting to heal a little bit. ive had to put him back in the large tank beacuse of the heat and his tank kept heating up to quick. now hes in at steady 19deg tank and he seams to be gettin along with buttercup, now they stare at the fake plants together. I hope they sorted their problems out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1