4wks and still not eating!

K

kc

Spotty has been in the fridge for nearly 3 wks. We put him in there because he had blood on his gills a few times and wasn't eating and was floating alot.

He has salt baths and his dechlorinated water is changed daily. But he still won't eat! Tried a variety of foods but nothing is working! We are really worried because he looks reallllllyyyyyyyy skinny and his gills have been shrinking. He moves around in the container. There has been no more blood. Just looks like bits of mucus in the water.

Anybody have any ideas about what to do. We have put the temp of the fridge up slightly.

we shouldn't put him back in the tank yet??? We have another axie who is thriving.

really worried....he looks really skinny. any help is much appreciated!

They rarely eat while in the fridge. Their metabolism is slow, and they don't need food.

I would take him out of the fridge, let him warm up to room temperature, and offer food.

A healthy axolotl will eat (less than usual, but some) even at fridge-temp (8-9C). It won't hurt to try getting him back to room temp and see if he'll eat, but it's possible he still won't eat. The "bits of mucus" makes me suspect he's still sick in some way. In any case, don't put him back into the tank with the healthy one, he's likely to be bullied.

Thanks heaps for your responses. We have taken him out of the fridge. Hope he starts eating soon.. really worried..definately won't put him with Ginny (who was Jimmy but have since found out 'he' is a she!). There's no mucus in this latest water change. Fingers x he'll be ok

Thanx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back