Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Floating issues?

M

malachy

One of my axies, Brocolini, seems to be having issues. She has been floating around the top of her tank for around a week now. I thought it was wind so i rubbed her belly for ages for a few days but it hasnt helped, she seems to float with only her head, which is almost out of the water like shes trying to look around. All the water parameters are normal, tested today, and the temp is at 20, which i know is high but with our weather and a fan and ice bottles its the best i can do. They are very used to it anyway, unfortunatley my lil uns have to deal with high temps for most of the year and have never been fazed at all before. Nothing has been changed in the tank, and Snip (other axie) is fine. Lini is not showing any signs of stress, apart from the seemingly inability to sink. Any one know what the problem may be?

kapo

Reaction score
Try putting her in another container and lowering the water so she doesn't float, might even involve putting her in fridge if you can't keep container cool (maybe place container in esky surrounded by icepacks wrapped in teatowels or something; or lower the tankwater.

With the cooler water she may come right and stop floating.

M

malachy

Thanks Kapo, Ill try that tomorrow when i can keep an eye on her. Ill try the fridge, my folks...got a little...ahh...freaked last time i put her in the fridge, so its going to have to be a last resort.Im hoping shell come good with the lowered water level. If she stops floating in the shallower water, will she be okay to go back into the normal tank depth or should i lower it too?

kapo

Reaction score
Just a shame you can't get a 2nd hand fridge or bar fridge! The lowered water level will help, but just wondering if you'll be able to keep it cool. One of the aussie owners used the esky cooling because they couldn't use the fridge, but think you'd have to be careful with the icepacks/bricks and chilling it.

Just see how she goes over next day or two. If she stops floating, and she's been in fridge or in esky make sure you let her contaner come back to tank temp/warm up b4 placing her back in tank. (I'm sure you wud anyway).

M

malachy

OKay so i put Lini in a shallow tank with only enough water to cover her all day, and gradually increased the water level to see if she was still floating. She wasnt. So, after a whole day out of her tank, and getting very mad at me for being seperated from Snip (who spent the day looking wistfully through the glass at me), she seemed okay. Upon puting her back in her tank she wandered around the bottom, so feeling cheered, i left for band only to come home and find her floating again! I dont know what to do, shes spending ALL her time at the water level, with her back and face out of the water, like she doesnt like being in the water. Is there something im doing wrong?

A

amber

Malachy - try my hammock idea - did you see it last time?

It's on www.spyyk.blogspot.com anyway.
All you need is a bit of bogwood, some strong nylon and a binder edge or plastic knitting needle to hang it from.

Then she can sit on it and relax a bit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1