Not very well

D

daniel

ok i just looked up and benny was wriggling around and ended up laying on his side at the bottom of the tank. left him for a bit and started to worry so i wiggled my finger around him so that hopefully he would snap at it like food and he just laid there.
i then picked him up and he just sat there which really isnt normal. he hates me picking him up.

water test is fine. all lvls and temperature is pretty much perfect.

i fed him a couple of worms which he hasnt paid any attention to so i just hand fed 1 to him but he still seems really lethargic.

any ideas on what to do or what could be wrong?

Ah, I hope Benny gets better soon. Sorry I cant be of much help with what could be wrong with him Dan.
sad.gif

Have you added anything to the tank recently? Any changes in food?

I've heard that if the water is too alkaline, it can cause lethargy and anemia...Are his gills somewhat pale, and if so, constantly?

unfortunately benny passed away today
sad.gif

his gills are still bright red so i have moved him into a smaller tank for 24 hours just to be certain.

ive taken a sample of the water and im gonna see if i can send it off for a more in depth analysis (testing for metals and stuff)

hopefully that will show any potential problems before my new babies are born. for now im gonna hatch the eggs in spring water that my grandad is sending from wales (he has a natural spring in his garden) so that should be as pure as it can be once ive stuck it through a water filter a few times.

R.I.P. Benny. I'll miss you

angel.gif

I'm sorry to hear that Dan, But i'm sure you are a great parent of Benny and he loves you.

OMG Benny is alive.... hes still really lethargic but he flinches when i touch him... I know its not great but its better than he was earlier. ive put him in the fridge and keeping a close eye on him and hopefully he will make a full recovery.

thank you. he's recovered some since earlier so i can only assume he's getting better. more movement has got to be a good thing

any ideas what may of caused this or how to help him recover?

Pleased to hear Benny is still in there and fighting whatever is making him unwell - positive thoughts sent to him and you

xx

he's taken another turn for the worse and has gone back to not moving. he has also developed fungus on his back leg.

this is a hard thing to say but if you were in my position would you concider euthanising him?

i hate seeing him like he is and he is deteriorating again + fungus and im not sure if its fair for me to keep him alive like he is.

please dont bite my head off for saying that, its purely because i dont want him in pain any more.

whats your thoughts please

I am so happy benny was not dead! I hope he pulls through.

If they can give axolotl brain transplants and chop off their legs in the lab and regrow them I am sure you can make Benny as good as new. I could ever euthanize an axolotl, I couldnt do it, they are my friends.
If it is fungus, you can do it! Fungus can go away. Just keep him in a little small container and treat him and change the water in his container several times with water that has been treat and set out for a while. Clean water and 'lotl meds will get him good and new.

Don't give up on Benny yet, its not like heis coughing up blood or having an exploding clochea or really nasty bloat. Just patience, love, and good water might do it. Especially the patience part.

Good luck with Mr. Benny

thank you.

i needed someone to say that... im just so worried and it upsets me to see him in pain.

he's been in the fridge since yesterday and i started him on salt baths this afternoon to clear up the fungus.

i really am praying for a full recovery, i just feel helpless and none of the vets near me will look at him and even if they did, their answer would be to put him down.

i wont give up on him cos hes part of the family. i just need a bit of reasurance sometimes.

Thank you

You're usually confident, so don't let that falter now.

You know what to do, just calm down, for both yours and Benny's sake.

Are the salt baths helping? Did you remove the as much of the fungus you can gently with a cotton swab?

What was the situation with the web cam? Could that be possibly linked? I'm just grabbing at straws here.

Best of luck in his recovery.

only done 1 salt bath so far and gently rubbed over with cotton... should see some improvement tomorrow. webcam is on the outside of the tank stuck to the glass with suckers so that wont of made a difference.

im ok when it comes to giving advice to others but i tend to think everything i say is wrong when i am having the trouble. i'm just hoping he gets better.

ive just put brine shrimp in so that hopefully tomorrow he will eat something although being ill and in the fridge im not sure.

he hasnt eated for 3 days now and im slightly worried that he wont have the energy to get better.

you might want to take the brine shrimp out as they're just fouling up the water if he doesn't eat them (you'd want the water to be as good as possible) so id recommend trying to offer him earthworms instead, purely because you don't have to leave them in the water.

i hatch the BS in a separate tank. sorry i should of been a bit clearer about that... i was gonna put a few into benny's "bowl" once they get a bit bigger, for him to munch on.

Good luck dan, I hope Benny feels better soon

Opened the fridge this morning to give him a salt bath and he turned to greet me. He's walking around nicely (even in the fridge) and seems to be on the lookout for food so i'll give him some special wormy worms. When i emptied his old water from the bucket hes living in, there was a lot of white stuff in there so his fungus is clearing up. his gills have straightened up a lot. Everythings looking great
happy.gif

it looks like everything is gonna be a-ok. i just cant wait for him to get better and get back in his tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back