OMG!!!! Oliver get hurt!!!!!!!!!!

M

morrissey

Ho my god!!!! My oliver get hurt!!!! When I back home tonight, I saw there's something different with oliver, I turned on thelight, MY GOD!!! A little part of his left nose has been bitten off or like he crashed himself with something!!!

I'm not sure if olive bitten him...but my axies are being quite active these days, they used to be quiet and laying in the tank for most of time, but they are swimming around everynight now, and bite, bite and bite, Olive even bite above the water....

I would like to ask how much should I feed them? They are no longer than 7", are they too hungry? I feed them around 5 pellets everyday, is it still not enough or I'm over feed???

My gosh! I'm so worry about Oliver, although he seems and act the same now!

Morrissey, sorry to hear about Oliver.

Olive and Oliver sound about the same size as Gilly, and he eats alot more than 5 pellets a day. Mine was fed on only catfish pellet when I got him, but he just laughs at them now, I feed him earthworms mostly, but also have fed him shrimp, prawn (he didnt like these) muscles (again he didnt think much of these) frozen bloodworm - alot of work, for a little food! I have this week bought a beef heart, which I have cut up into worm like pieces (took ages) and frozen ready to defrost as and when needed.

I'm not experienced in keeping 2 axies, but would think that if they were hungry, they could take bites at each other, I would tend to feed them up so that they get used to each other being there.

Good Luck!

id try to vary their diet, maybe that might satisfy their culinary needs!

Don't worry too much, and just keep an eye out for fungus.

Spyyk has done this a couple of times, and it heals fine.

jeez thats not good news is it mush? Keep an eye on the levels of the water and the temp; just in case too.

You're already a veteran salt bather, so you're prepared :p

I'd say feed 'em more as a start. When we were talking yesterday you seemed shocked at the amount gaara eats - but I find that I feed all 4 of my axies enough that they dont get stroppy with each other, thus minimising the risk of "love bites" and such :p

Thanks for the advice, it's getting cool here now, this morning the tank water's 17C.
As I read that for axie like their size, it should been feed once every 2 days? I'm not sure, they didn't eat that much before, but nowadays seems crazy hungry! I also afraid of over feed since they are looking soooo "CHUBBY"!!!

Oliver used to be a shy boy and spent most of his time inside his cave, but now he's so active and searching for food around, even he's hurt now, he still non-stop food seeking. I hope he get well soon, I will keep my eyes on it.

Feed them every 2 days, but probably not solely on pellets (5 pellets doesn't seem that much). Ours will eat 2.5-4 inch size earthworms every 3/4 days, ours are between 26-31cm in size, occasionally a bit more if they're ravenous.

Thanks! I will try to feed them more, I usually feed them both pellets and shrimp, they love to chase shrimp, but when I first got Olive about 2 months ago, she didn't eat that much, 4 pellets were already a lot for her, and refused to take more. But it seems never be enough nowadays!

Here's some pictures of oliver with his hurt lips....is it very serious??? Any suggestions of what should I do to take care of him? I really hope he can recover as soon as possible!
73991.jpg

73992.jpg

73993.jpg

As mentioned in the other thread, keep an eye on it Mossy :p If fungus shows up you know what to do, but by the look of him, Oliver looks quite healthy indeed, and should mend it in his own time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back