Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Not eating, blood on gill, really skinny

K

kc

Our poor axie Spotty.....I had the other post "gill growing back". He's the axie that has a frill thats a stub and he has been floating alot and hasn't eaten for approx 2 weeks. I think I wrote in my last post that I noticed a blood clot on his gill. Does anybody know what this is?? It has come off since.I have attached a pic. His frills are also alot smaller. We have put him in the fridge and gave him a salt bath.....just really worried. Tried giving him a meal worm. He was opening his mouth a little but then looked like he spewed up a milky substance. Are we doing the right thing by putting him in the fridge? and with giving salt baths? He looks so skinny poor thing. He is approx 16cm long.And our tank is good-ph, nitrate, ammonia all great...any help much appreciated!!

73823.jpg
73824.jpg

Spotty....tooo skinny?????????
Kc

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Does he usually eat meal worms? I've read that they can be hard for the axolotls to digest and can cause problems.

My axie is showing the same symptoms as yours, blood/injuries to his frill stalk and is only eating every few days. I have checked the Ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels and they are a little bit bad. i've done salt baths and he seems happier for a little bit afterwards, but then he just sits in the one spot on the bottom of the tank and doesn't move.

I have some beef heart and meal worms which he is not eating at all, I might have to try getting him some live earthworms or bloodworms or something and give that a go. I can't give you much advice as I'm still only very new to owning axolotls myself - about 2 weeks ... just try to make sure that his tank is at the right temperature.

Good luck, hope your axie does okay

K

kc

Hi Michael,

Thanks for ur post. Do u have trouble with keeping your temp down? Or do you have a chiller?

Spotty has been in the fridge for just over a day and we have given him a salt bath. He is alot more active and seems ok but looks reallly skinny. I might try some beef heart. He doesn't want to eat yet because of the cooler temp. Can't believe how stressed out I'm getting about him!!!

Is your axolotl still having problems. When we did the water change for Spotty, there was a blood clot and some mucus in the water....Anyone else experienced this kind of stuff??????? Any ideas about when to put Spotty back in his tank?????

Jimmy our gold axie is thriving thank god. Wonder if he's missing his mate?

Goodluck with your axies too.

cya! Kc

kapo

Reaction score
Mealworms shudn't be used as a staple, more like occasionally, same goes for raw meat. B4 feeding mealworms cut off the head. With meat trim all fat and tendons so meat is lean, keep it thin/wormlike so it can be swallowed easily.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Kc on Sunday 26 November 2006 - 10:38 (#POST112440):</font>

When we did the water change for Spotty, there was a blood clot and some mucus in the water....<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> The mucus is probably bolus/vomit, which is pretty normal. When an axie is put in the fridge it will occasionally vomit and poo within first few days; and may not want to eat. The blood clot is probably just bits dropping off from where his gill is damaged. (I can see 3 gills this side even with the damage near the base, is the missing gill stub on the other side?)

What is your fridge temp Kc?

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Michael on Saturday 25 November 2006 - 20:05 (#POST112396):</font>

I have checked the Ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels and they are a little bit bad<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Michael, the reason they're like that is cos your tank is new and cycling (cycling can take from 3-8 weeks or thereabouts).

K

kc

Hi Rapo,

Temp of fridge is around 8 deg.

The stub is on the other side.

Should salt baths be done twice a day or is once ok? Getting him in and out won't stress him will it? He does seem to crawl onto our hand and doesn't mind the contact though...very cute

Fingers x that he'll recover!!!!

M

matthew

here's hoping Kc! I've read somewhere that salt baths 2x daily is the way to go; with about 2 teaspoons of salt per 1L of dechlorinated water.

kapo

Reaction score
I assume you keep a bottle of dechlorinated water in the fridge (if not make sure you do). When you do the saltbaths use the cold/chilled dechlorinated water, so it doesn't stress him with fluctuating temps, to do the saltbaths. Twice or three times a day for saltbaths is fine, 2-3teaspoons of salt as Matthew says. Just remember no more than 10-15 minutes max. If he doesn't mind getting onto your hand make sure you have wash your hands prior to handling him (no soap/detergents)and try not to handle him too much as it can damage his slime coat.

K

kc

Spotty is looking better. Just a bit of mucus like stuff in his water but no more blood.

Yeah, we keep new dechlorinated water in the fridge.

I will do the 2 salt baths tomorrow.....still a bit nervous about getting him out more than once! But it will help him...

Thanks for your posts guys!
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1