Refusing food

A

adrian

Hi there. We are new to keeping axies and I need some advice please.
I bought 2 axies at the end of Sept and they settled in well to a 4' tank with undergravel filtration and an internal power filter with spray bar to dissipate flow. We fed them on chopped lamb heart and earthworms which they took well.
Gradually their appetite reduced and I changed 3 gallons of water on 6th Nov. Unfortunately one died on 9th Nov, which I put down to temperature stress as the central heating was well and truly on. I have turned down the central heating (the gas bill and planet will thank me too) and invested in a thermometer which is reading a steady 18C.
The remaining axie is still not accepting food. I tried him with an earthworm tonight which he snapped at 3 times but eventually rejected. I am concerned because he has not fed properly now for 2 weeks. What should I do, is he still stressed from the previous high temp?

Are you using small gravel (less than around 10mm) in the tank? If you are then they may have swallowed some which could severely reduce their appetite.

Gravel in the tank is 20mm grade. I don't think he has swallowed any. I checked the abdomen of the one that died and could not feel any lumps. Having read most of the threads in the 'Sick Axie' forum I am going to investigate water quality in the tank and step up water changes.

How do you know if he has swallowed any gravel or not? I would continue tweezer feeding attempts untill it takes something. Get rid of the gravel!

Adrian, what are the water parameters? ammonia, nitrite and nitrate Also, how often do you feed them usually and how big are they? Are there any other tank companions and have you added anything within the last month or so?

Regarding gravel and pebbles, it is not always obvious if they've swallowed any. Our 3yr olds had ingested quite a bit (we have a bowl full of gravel/pebbles that 4 of our axies have pooed out over the past 9-10months - size range 1/4cm-1.5cmish - the biggest being the glass pebbles.)

Hi Adrian,I'm new to this forum stuff but I've had my axolotls for over five & half years.When I read your problem I had to talk to you.I have two adult axies in a 4ft tank with gravel,plants,pvc piping(for them to hide in),rocks & drift wood.
Firstly,don't remove your gravel as axolotls stress when there's nothing for them to grip onto & I've never had a problem with gravel.For both of your axies to get sick it's most definitely the water.
Test for ammonia,if it shows high(very cloudy)you will need to do a water change but don't change more then 50% in one hit.Then follow with a daily water change,changing 10% until you've resolved the ammonia problem.Do you have a gravel vacuum as this will help suck up any food matter left in your gravel.
Test the ph,it should be around 7 but don't stress if it's a little lower or a little higher.Try to keep it in this range though.If it's very low(acidic) or very high(alkaline)you will need to do a water change but as before not more then 50% on the first day,then 10% daily until problem fixed.You can also use a product to raise or lower the ph but be careful as with any change to the water can cause stress & should be done gradually over days.Unless your test results are severe & in that case I recommend a 50% water change on the first day & 10% there after.
Also test the total hardness of the water (gh test)axolotls like slightly soft water.
Once your problem is fixed you should be doing a weekly water change of 10% & regularly testing ammonia,ph & gh to keep the tank in optimum condition.I hope this helps & I hope your axolotl pulls through.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting danielle on Thursday 16 November 2006 - 07:52 (#POST111388):</font>

Test the ph,it should be around 7 but don't stress if it's a little lower or a little higher.Try to keep it in this range though.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
\
Regarding PH levels, a pH of 6.5 to around 8.0 is acceptable for axolotls, but 7.4 to 7.6 is probably more ideal.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting danielle on Thursday 16 November 2006 - 07:52 (#POST111388):</font>

You can also use a product to raise or lower the ph<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Don't use the PH up or PH Down kits sold in petshops, as they are only temporary fixes and can cause more harm than good as it can cause fluctuations

To bring the ph level up you can use bird grit - put it in a stocking or something it shud help to bring the ph up.

To bring ph level down i think peat moss is used in same way.

Nitrite and Nitrate should also be tested on a regular basis, they may not be as toxic as ammonia but they can still be toxic if they are high (ie: Nitrite higher than 0/ Nitrate higher than 40ppm)

If you don't have test kits for any of the tests mentioned take a sample of tankwater in a foodsafe container to your local petshop and get them to test for all of them and give you the no.s

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Kapo on Thursday 16 November 2006 - 11:43 (#POST111399):</font>

Don't use the PH up or PH Down kits sold in petshops, as they are only temporary fixes and can cause more harm than good as it can cause fluctuations <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
These kits are perfectly safe to use if you know what your doing.<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting danielle on Thursday 16 November 2006 - 07:52 (#POST111388):</font>

be careful as with any change to the water can cause stress & should be done gradually over days<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>They are temporary fixes(but are easier to measure then bird grit & peat moss) however if the condition of the tank is extremely bad I strongly recommend using these products to rectify the problem as quick & as safe as possible or risk losing your axolotl.Once you've rectified the problem you need to perform a weekly water change & weekly testing to maintain & monitor the condition of your tank.The use of ph up & down products are there to help rectify the problem but in the end it is up to you to do weekly maintenance to ensure this doesn't happen again.<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting danielle on Thursday 16 November 2006 - 07:52 (#POST111388):</font>

Once your problem is fixed you should be doing a weekly water change of 10% & regularly testing ammonia,ph & gh to keep the tank in optimum condition.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Please do take out the gravel- change your substrate to very well washed play sand so that they have something to grip and it won't tear up their digestive tracts. You get to look at all their silly little footprints in the tank and figure out where they have been, too! (hehe)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back