Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Morphing Axie?

A

amber

Hmm. Personally, his gills look reasonably healthy, but then axolotl gills are unique and vary.

However, I DO see what you mean about his back.
Could well be so!
Might be worth making a platform for him to sit on/climb out on, or you may end up with a very uncomfortable 'lotl.

Can someone add some feeding adjustments for morphed 'lotls please - I don't know enough about it to suggest with confidence.

J

joan

He looks fine to me.

None of my axolotls have a large ridge down their back.

kapo

Reaction score
our 3 year old axies look the same too, no large ridge/fin down back like Joan says, I just put it down to age or uniqueness and gills look good to me (they also only have gill stubs with fine hairs/filaments like mens stubble as they had their gills damaged due to bad water quality with previous owner).

(Message edited by kapo on November 21, 2006)

T

teesha

i think mine was metamorphosing but she died :< Her fin receded so much even her tail barely had a fin. Ur ones tail fin is huge still. It took one month for my ones tail fin t dissapear, i suggest you keep an eye on it but dont get to excited. Be prepared just in case. There are signs of the head getting narrower and pointier, bulging eyes, surfaceing more, thicker legs, ect. Keep watch for these, u might need to accomodate soon, do soem research on tiger salamanders and how they morph it is similar to the axie, and its accodations u will need during the morph-just in case.

T

teesha

omg.....
cry.gif

i checked my axie after this post, and his tail fin noticably was not there really. I was worried as he has been floating a bit lately and was makeing sure to stay on the filter or plants so his head was almost out of the water. I noticed "this is the same symptoms my pookie had!" I quickly did a small water change. The next day i did a 90% water change. It seemed like the planaria in the tank exploded and i just couldnt rest without cleaning the water, i felt the water was at fault. My other axie in the same tank is perfectly fine. I noticed after school today his gills were curled and his mucous looked thick. I nudged him...he was dead. and stiff. I proptly removed him and threw him in the bin,. Why?!! i am so distrought...not again!!! I'm never buying an axolotl again until i find out what killed him and my pookie. It wasn't ammonia. Last time i did a big water change too and she died the next day. I dunno what it is....i have no idea....im making a new post to find the cause of death...just thought id share, hopefully it isnt what he had. Make sure the water quality is good. or anything else that might effect him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1