Floating and spinning

L

leanne

Hi i know that this topic comes up over and over again but i am going to ask anyway. we have a new axy called jimmy he is only 4-5cm long dont know how old and lately he has been floating and sometimes even on his back. he is still eating but very slow. we have tested the tank and temp and all seems ok. any ideas? is this normal?

How long have you had him, how often do you do waterchanges, what do you feed him and did you cycle the tank before you put him in it?

See: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

The floating on back doesn't sound good.

You could put him in a container of dechlorinated water and lower the water so he isn't floating and his feet rest on the bottom.

What did you test the tank for? Was it ammonia, nitrite and nitrates or just ph? And what is tank temp?

Sounds like a bacterial problem causing gas.
My advice (which worked for one of mine with the same problem) is to put him in the fridge.
Make sure the water is high enough to cover his back, but shallow enough so his feet can be on the floor at all times.
Floating about can be stressful, as you can imagine.

Give him three days like this (remembering to do a dechlor full waterchange every day), and try feeding him a VERY small amount every 4-5 hours.

If he refuses it after 15 mins, remove it and try again later.
If he's still refusing next day, try a live bloodworm or two. When he accepts that, use a dropper to hide a live one in a small amount of normal foods - he should scarf it all in attempt to get to the wiggly exciting thing.

When he's eating better, on the fifth day, bring the level of water up, and see if he's staying down.

If he is, he should be good to put in quarantine for 30 days, then return back into the main tank.
If not, give him a few more days chill, and feed him a little every day.

Should be back on his feet in no time.

My baby Ari was the same, on his back - it was due to malnutrition and bacterial issues as I say. Sadly Ari was too far gone to save, and died three weeks later from organ failure/shutdown, but that's due to starvation with his previous owners rather than the floating. When a 'loti has been that badly feed for so long, they start to switch off.
The important bit was he was back on his feet and eating well again.
I'm not at all suggesting you're looking after him badly - these things happen sometimes.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back