Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T_T it's happening again..

S

simone

Spunky, he has stopped eating again.
Everytime i go to give him bloodworms, he literally walks away. I bought pellets, and he hasn't touched them either.
I'm really worried.
It only started happening when i changed bloodworm brands.
It's not like spunky to refuse to even taste the stuff.
I really don't want him to die, his my baby and i'd be devastated if he died <3 he's part of my family.

kapo

Reaction score
Have you tried feeding him earthworms, crickets or oxheart or ox liver strips? Also, how often do you feed him and when was the last time he ate? Have you added anything else to the tank recently?

S

simone

No...
i feed him a bloodworm cube every 2 days.
Maybe 3 days of not eating now.
And just yesterday i tried to give him axolotl pellets, if that counts

A

anna

Hmm, 3 days isn't too long yet, so he wont die anytime soon from having no food.

One of my axos sometimes doesn't eat for around 5 days, then eats like normal again, and since he doesn't act/look sick I havn't worried about this too much!

So maybe don't stress too much just yet. The first time my Axie didn't eat I stressed out too, but now it seems to be just the way he is, sometimes hungry, sometimes not.

S

simone

he is still just walking away from the food, or turning his head.

S

simone

and he ate a lil today but spat it back out, i'm worried about these, white spot things too, i got told not to worry if it's not furry, but i can't tell if it is

kapo

Reaction score
Simone what type is your axie, a dark wildtype, white with dark eyes, white with reddish eyes, or a yellowy or golden colour.

S

simone

He is yellowy, he was only a baby when i got him, a year and a bit ago

L

lana

i would change the food and give him something different- this is only a suggestion, the same thing happened with mine when i first got him and then he was happy when i changed food types

S

simone

I did i bought him pellets. I just tried to feed him he went psycho.
I mean i didn't even touch or scare him, He was doing flips, and trying to bury beneath the rocks, he wouldn't stop. T_T
If i feed him he spits it back out.
I'm really worried<center><table border=1><tr><td>
attachment_icon.gif
how skinny he is
spunk!.bmp (51.1 k)</td></tr></table></center>

S

simone

And he seems to be leaning to one side all the time.

i don't understand what's happening
sick.gif

kapo

Reaction score
Ok as he's a golden/yellow, the white spots may be colour pigmentation. How long is he and how long have you had him for?

Have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? May be something to do with the water

Also, have you added anything recently to his tank, feeder fish, live plants other companions round the week he started going off his food?

I couldn't see your picture for some reason, are you able to upload one here using the upload attachment next to preview/post message.

S

simone

maybe 12 centimeters, and he was a baby when i got him a year and a bit ago.

havn't added none of that.

And yes the water doesn't have that stuff.<center><table border=1><tr><td>
attachment_icon.gif
skinny spunk T_T
spunk!.bmp (51.1 k)</td></tr></table></center>

kapo

Reaction score
Um sorry, which stuff? Have you tested your water at all with freshwater test kits for the 3 I mentioned above to make sure they're ok? (ie if cycled an ideal tank reading shud be ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 10-40).

Have you only ever fed him bloodworms? Just that he seems quite small if you've had him for just over a year (either that or mine are gargantuan monsters at 30cm!)

Maybe you should try feeding him something other than pellets or bloodworm. Crickets, earthworms, ox liver strips, ox heart strips (not feeder fish as they may carry parasites which could be passed onto your axie). Earthworms are about the best staple if he is able to take them.

S

simone

yes i tested.
He only started acting like this when i changed bloodworm brands.
Now he just does backflips and leans to one side.
He keeps going crazy over nothing.
I'll try getting earthworms..

kapo

Reaction score
Doesn't sound good with the leaning or the backflips (sometimes it can be if something is irritating them - which is why I asked if there were any additions/companions/plants and what ammonia and nitrite were).

Try putting him in a container of dechlorinated water (lowered so his feet rest on the bottom and hopefully he won't lean), and pop him in the fridge (min 5C) with a bottle of dechlorinated water or another container of dechlorationed water for you do a waterchange tomorrow. BTW what is your tank temp at mom?

S

simone

spunky is dying...he hasn't got long to live, i bought treatments for the water but it isn't helping..just wanna say thankyou for your help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!