Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axi with lumpy stomach

L

lana

hi, i am really worried my axolotl has a weirdly lumpy stomach and he/she normally had a slim stomach and and it has gotten a bit bigger and is lumpy! Please help!!! i am really worried- and i cannot stop being paranoid about him/her! the lumps arent near the cloacal resion

kapo

Reaction score
do you have gravel in your tank? Is it odd shaped lumps sticking out or sort of rounded or bloated?

L

lana

yes and i have pretty big gravel in the tank which would probably fit in his mouth, will he be alright? and i think it would be to big for him to ah, poo it out i am really worried.

L

lana

and yes it is odd shaped lumps sticking out and they are rounded

kapo

Reaction score
How big is your axie and how big is the gravel?

Four of our axies, all 3 year olds were on gravel/pebbles prior to us buying them. Two were on glass pebbles (1.5=2cm round kind)and gravel; and the others were on 1cm fluoro coloured gravel. We've had one pair since Jan (pebble) and the others since about Mar both this year. From Day 1, with both pairs, they were pooing out gravel (we have sand so very noticeable) They still have not got rid of the gravel and its been months. Found a couple in each tank the other day.

My advice, from this experience, is to change your substrate to sand or bare tank asap. You can remove the gravel in sections and add the sand accordingly as each section is removed.

(Message edited by kapo on October 17, 2006)

L

lana

Thankyou heaps and i have been thinking of changing it to sand one more question... do u have to somehow clean the sand from the pet store when you get it? or can you just kind of put it in, i dont know if this is a good sign but my axi has been eating fine (the other day he almost bit my fingers off, lol) and also is it best to get really fine sand or just normal coz it might block up his digestive track i think thats the right name!

J

jennifer

Put the sand in a bucket and swirl/rinse it repeatedly until the water is no longer cloudy. I would vote for fine sand. I hope your axie is OK.

L

lana

thx! i think he is getting better i took all the gravel out and he has a pretty bare tank now but as soon as i get down to the pet shop oi will be getting sand

kapo

Reaction score
It might be cheaper to buy sand from a hardware store like Bunnings or Mitre 10 rather than petstore.

L

lana

i did a pretty big water change and he is all smiles, even my dad noticed the lumps on his tummy were going down, i have only big rocks in the tank now not 1 small bit of gravel is in the tank and i made sure of it! a while after i had done the tank i had a check on him i saw two bits of gravel lying in the bare space and his tum tum was pretty much back to normal.

kapo

Reaction score
try not to do too big a waterchange as it can start your tank cycling again. Usually 20-30% waterchange every few days is better than one larger one. But good that he's got rid of the gravel, even worse if you happen to see them do it (must be painful).

BTW Lana, sand doesn't block them up, gravel does. Sand is small enuf when swallowed to pass right thru.

(Message edited by kapo on October 22, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!