Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help my axie is floating?

H

holly

I need help my axie is floating and i don't know if it is sick. it is not very old only a juevenille and it looks as if it has a bubble in its belly! i don't know what to do or if it can be treated. i hope ii caught it in time?

kapo

Reaction score
How long has he been floating, constantly or occasionally? Has s/he done a poo lately? What is your tank temp? And how much do you feed him/her?

H

holly

he has only been floating for about 16 hours, but it has been constant. he is not dead because he is still swimming but he cannot go very far down in his tank. i only feed him twice a day and in very little portions. please help

kapo

Reaction score
How old or big is he and what are you feeding him? Also, have you tested your water and tank temp as mentioned in previous post? Does his stomach sort of look bloated out the sides like he's eaten too much?

H

holly

he is not very old only about 6 months i have been feedign him baby shrimp and no i haven't tested his water temp i am at college i don't have a thermometer. it isn't that kind of bloating. i can see the bubble in his belly.he is about 3 inches long.

J

joan

Feed him more. At 3 inches, he's capable of eating bigger food than brine shrimp. Try bloodworms or chopped earthworms. This should help force the bubble out of the belly.

While you're doing this, put him in a shallow container so he can touch the ground, but is still under water. This will ease some of the stress.

It's very important that you test the water. Having a properly cycled aquarium is top on the list of amphibian health concerns.

H

holly

thank you. i have an airator but i am afriad if i put him a shallow container that he wont get enough oxygen. should i be worried about this. what if i fed him pieces of earth worms. He is not eating the shrimp anymore.

H

holly

i put him in a shallow container and the bubble is now his whole belly i won't be able to get worms until tonight will this be okay?

J

joan

He'll get plenty of oxygen. They have gills as well as lungs. Feed him bits of earthworm, bloodworm, blackworm, etc. They're all nutritious foods.

S

silver

I'm so sorry
sad.gif
to hear about Tippy after all you did for her...

Thoughts are with you and Tippy who's looking after you now from across the Rainbow Bridge...

Silver

kapo

Reaction score
So sorry to hear that Holly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1