Not eating

L

lexie

hi
i haven't been having much luck with my axies. i don't know what i'm doing wrong!! i'm fine with all my other fish, they all do perfectly but the axies just don't seem to want to work with me.

so i had 3 axies in this 3ft tank... sand substrate with some large rocks and quite a few plants (50% fake, 50% real)

1 axie got a problem with its leg, covered in fungus. i had him in the fridge for quite a while. the fungus eventually got the better of him and he died in the fridge after a really long time of treating him and salt baths etc.

the other two, one day, just stopped eating. it was in the coldest part of winter, so i thought that maybe their metabolism had slowed down. it was also weird that it was both of them, not just one. one was eating more than the other one though.
i figured it's okay - axies can go for ages without food, so i'll keep offering them food every day and hopefully they'll take it. one of the axies started taking the food every 3rd day or so, but wasn't interested the rest of the time. i set up a feeding station but the food never got eaten and so i always had to just remove it. the other axie, being the newest leucistic, just wouldn't eat. when i got them they (esp. the leucistic) were VERY fat. the other axie died last night, looking very thin. now my leucistic looks like it might be next. he's reeeeally skinny. like, really. i can't get a pic but if i could you'd all be horrified and think i was a terrible owner but he honestly won't take the food!!
he's just lying at the bottom of the tank, and has been for the past few days. i know he's alive because he's moving, but not much. the water is like 15C and it's all clean and i tested it and it's fine.

can anyone help? i thought of the fridge but that just will make him want to eat even less. he's gone ages without food and he just won't take it.

i've tried axolotl pellets, meal worms, earthworms and bloodworms.

any ideas? he's my last axie and i don't want to have to give up but he's so sick looking.

anyone????
i tried an earthworm tonight and he didn't want it
i don't want him to die, and he's REALLY close to dying.

ages ago one of my axies get really sick and suddenly stopped eating his food, i tried food that had a really strong smell to maybe entice him. it worked and he recovered now he he will only eat squid, prawns or crickets. i also bought another axie about 2 months ago and he was a little skinny but he ate for a week then went off his food even though there was nothing wrong with the water quality or food. i tried every type of food that you could feed an axie but no luck, he ate a meal worm once and that was it, after 7 weeks without eating i ended up putting him to sleep, it broke my heart but i thought it was cruel to let him get so skinny, i think the skinny he got the more stressed he got which he didnt eat so he got stressed, it was a cycle of unhappiness,the other 2 in the tank are pigs and never stopped eating.

See euthenasia seems like my only option seeing as how he just won't eat anything... I bought some crickets today but he didn't take an interest.
I am going to add some WCMM to the tank to see if he likes them... The other axies always liked chasing them...
If that doesn't work, how should I euthanise him? Oh god, I really don't want to but it would be cruel to keep him alive in pain like that...

Have you tried oxheart or liver cut into wormlike strips?

this is a stupid question...
do i get them from like a butcher?
or what?
i'm a vegetarian so i don't know these things =D haha

Butcher shop or meat dept of your supermarket. Hearts are pretty big and will last a while in fridge, or you can get 1/4 or 1/2 of one. Ask the butcher to cut all the fat and sinewy bits of (saves you doing it).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back