Parasites

S

sherri

What are the symptoms and cures for parasites in axies?
Thanks in advance

Am thinkin would it be possible that my axie has some sort of parasite, that I cannot see? As she keeps trashing about, and a few times yesterday tried to scratch her gills with her back legs. But I can't see any fungus or anything in her gills?

Or what about swim bladder disease? Sorry am just reading about everything, and this also sounds like a possible cause. Oh, I wish, I so wish I could find a vet who knows anything about axies!!

parasites? my sister must have gotten to your axie!!! joking good luck

Sherri, see if you can get her into a small clear container, and look her over REALLY well. Concentrate on the gills

If she's itching her gills, it could also be more fungus, or chemical irritation. What are your water parameters?

Joan, will check her carefully in a small bucket today after work, in case I can see anything.

She seems to even hate being in saltbath, starts trashing after a few minutes, like she is in pain, or something is seriously irritating her. I put a tiny bit of Methylene Blue in her tank, as it should help for both parasites and fungus,but I only put less than a tenth of amount recommended for fish.

Anybody have any knowledge of swim bladder disease? I don't know if axies can get it, but it sounds like what may very well be the problem, or one of the problems,with Axelina, as she walks so much leaning onto her left side, and a bit like she was drunk?

(Message edited by sherrisixxx on September 25, 2006)

well I had experience with axolotls scratching their gills , that is due to bad water conditions, well most of the times , not parasites or bacteria, I work in a public aquarium and luckly I can test everything so I did some tests and they also scratch their gills when some piece of food like a litlle bit o blood worms get stuck in there, it might be so small you can even see it,so don worry too much just do a good water change and that might stop...

Ed, thank you so much for that swim bladder info, so that is definatly ruled out.
Joao, you work in public aquarium?What a fantastic job!

She has gotten worse, and doesn't move at all,apart from when she goes mental and trashes about and she doesn't eat. Fungus in her eye is the same.

Oh, and Joan, I chevked her very carefully last night, and could't see any parasites etc

(Message edited by Sherrisixxx on September 26, 2006)

Scratching gills could also be anchorworm - they hide deep in the fimbriae.
Have a very careful look - they're sneaky.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back