Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Not eating - Green discharge from anus

C

chris

Hi
My axie is sick!
I just moved house a week ago and had to nearly empty the tank so I could move it. But since then my Axie has not eaten and food and has started secreting a bright green discharge from her anus. I have been doing a 30% water change ever 3 days. The water in the fliter was kept wet (I have those bacteria cermaics) I now have put her in the fridge - also can you feed an axie once it is in the fridge? Or is there metabolism too slow? She also has few fungal spots.
Cheers
Chris

kapo

Reaction score
You can offer food, but they may not take it as yes their metabolism slows down.

If she has fungal spots you could give her salt baths 2-3 times a day. You could do one of the salt baths just before the complete daily waterchange of her fridge container, so that when she comes out of the bath, she goes straight into fresh dechlorinated chilled water.

Salt bath: 2-3teaspoons salt per pint/litre of water. No more than 10-15mins. Make sure the water is the same temp as the fridge one too as fluctuating (cold to warm) temps could stress her even more.

Has anything different been added to your tank since you moved, and are you able to test the tank water?

emiliebee

Reaction score
What ended up being wrong with your axolotl? did it ever get better? I am afraid I am in exactly the same scenario and I'm very worried for my axie :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1