Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anchor Worms!

E

emj

My axie has got anchor worms on him. Does anyone know how to get rid of them? Ive washed the tank and pulled them out but more and more keep on appearing. Any ideas?

J

jennifer

Try searching the forum archives, I know this issue has come up before. They can be successfully treated, but I don't remember what medication was used.

A

amber

Ok. Anchorworm.
Treat as thus.

Waterlife do a fab medication - the name slips me, but it's specifically for anchor worm. It doesn't harm axolotl. Something like Protozin B.
It only affects crustaceans, and won't harm your filter. Be sure to dissolve it well before introducing it - I nearly had Spyyk EATING the first dose. (I used half tablet for my 14G, and then the other half a week later)

Use salt baths, once per day.

Then place axie in an observation tub, easily accessible, and use a pair of new, strong tweezers to remove the ones you can see.

Be VERY careful - these nasty beasts hide in the gills a lot - it's very difficult to get them then.
Dab an axolotl friendly antibacterial on (Names anyone please?)
Reward your axolotl for being so good.

I treated Spyyk for anchors in less than a two weeks.
happy.gif

Hope that helps.

And well spotted.

(Message edited by indigobluefish on September 23, 2006)

E

emj

Thankyou will go out and get some tonight and let you know the outcome
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1