Salt Bath not working

J

jade.

I have been putting my axie in a salt bath for three days now, twice a day.
but i have seen no signs of recovery from his fungal infection, it still looks the same.

im using a 2 litre ice cream container, half fulled with 3-4 table spoons of salt and i leave him in there for 10 mins . I make sure that his tank is stress-free, by turning off the filter, cleaning the water ect. before i put him back. and my tank water is always below 20 degrees celcius.

what am i doing wrong? i really want to cure him
sad.gif

what are the water readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate

for a start it should be 2-3 teaspoons salt per litre, not 3-4 tablespoons (that is too much and can burn). Another thing, it doesn't happen in 3 days, and will take longer than that (at least a week and a half if ur lucky).

What do you mean cleaning your water b4 you put him back in ? As in a waterchange or spotcleaning with a turkey baster.

(Message edited by kapo on September 17, 2006)

oops, i actually do put 2-3 teaspoons in, i just didnt think when i was typing.

well, i scoop up any mess, clean muck from rocks ect.

When my axie had very bad fungus, and I had been giving her salt baths for 2-3 weeks with no effect, I bought Methylene Blue. I put her in a bucket with dechlorinated water and the tiniest drop of Methylane Blue twice a day, for 30 mins. She started to get better after the first day. You can do these baths for 4 days, then have a 4 day break, and then do another 4 days, if your axie still has fungus. Good luck. Let us know how he is doing

thanks, i will look out for Methylene Blue when i go to my petstore for supplies.

Meth blue is fab for fungal axies.
I always have a bottle semi-prepped with my stuff.

What do you mean by cleaning the muck from the rocks? How are you doing this?
Also what are your readings of ammonia, and nitrite and nitrate?

Also it isn't that uncommon for it to take more than several days to see any improvement from a fungal infection depending on how severe the infection is/was and if there is a significant wound or lesion underneath the infection.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back