Pot belly

G

g

my little boy axl has a pot belly!!!

I don't know if its normal but in the last 3 weeks or so he has developed a rather prominent pot belly - it drags along when he walks. He is extremely active and swims and runs around all the time (we have a 3ft tank filled to the top).
His diet is only live organic earthworms or beef heart every second day.

Whats wrong with him? is it normal? am i giving him too much heart?

I don't know if it matters - but I am in australia

welcome g
can you post a picture of your axie and how old is your axie

Thanks
happy.gif
lovely to meet you

We have had Axl for about 3 months now, I dont know how old he is but he looks mature. I will have to ask the pet store how old he is (they bred him).

I cant post one now - at work bludging internet hours ;) but he is a dark olive brown colour and about 30cm from tip to tail. As soon as i get a chance i will post a pic. He is gorgeous. Very active and happy - he dances when me and my boyfriend get home from work. he swims super fast, i didnt think they could go fast!!!

NO WAY ARE YOU IN CAIRNS!!!! i just noticed - i live there!!! you are gunna come in handy ;)

so noone can help??? do i need to show a picture?? I dont have a digi cam
sad.gif

Are you sure its a he? He may very well be a she, esp. at that size. A mature females tend to have very rounded bodies, due to the number of eggs present in their bodies which is why "he" may have suddenly developed a potbelly that drags around, doesn't sound like its overfed. A mature male's cloaca is swollen looking (check behind the rear legs for the lumpy bit - as my kids say!), while a mature female's cloaca is smaller.

(Message edited by kapo on September 01, 2006)

he/she has the lumpy bit, but it may just be because he/she is young...

His belly went down a little... he/she can walk normal now.

do females hump stuff??? cos every time we buy live plants Axl humps them to death - strips them bare! so we got plastic ones and he still does it, but very rarely... he/she gets on top of it and holds on then wriggles his/her cloaca against it... must get a picture... im so sorry for all the screwin' around, it would be so much easier to post a pic...

If the pot belly goes away on its own to some extent, then I think it's just overeating, or possibly eggs. Try not feeding it for 4-5 days and see if it gets better still. Does the animal just look really plump, or like it's been blown up like a balloon?

What do you mean by "lumpy bit"? The cloaca? I've never seen any axolotl "hump stuff" - to me, this sounds like the animal has some kind of irritation, perhaps internal parasites???

great your in cairns also g
were did you get your axie from

haha my axie's fat too! She wobbles around too. She's perfectly fine. You'll find when ur axie poops its loose weight haha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back