Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gill Disease (please respond Joan S.

R

rebekka

I think my axolotl has gill disease. Her gills have shrank very noticeably. They are red and very short. She has several wirery long gill filliments that looked clamped together. She ate a little for me, but is flicking her gills very rapidly. I am treating the tank with marycyn two, I am wondering if salt baths would help as well. Also I have spotted two white dots on her body about the size of salt but the wont go away. I want to revive my Squishy's health. I hope it isn't too late

J

joan

I'm flattered.

Can you post a picture?

What are the parameters of your tank? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, and temperature. How long has the tank been running?

Also, what kind of filter do you have, and do you have an airstone running?

I wouldn't do whole-tank treatments of any medication, as this could kill your biological filter, which is bad. I'm not familiar with marycyn 2, what are you using it to treat?

Are the white dots fuzzy? Or raised bumps in any way?

R

rebekka

I don't know the nitrite or ammonia levels in the tank the ph is 7.6 I have already done a whole filter change. I am using the maracyn to to treat gill disease and hopefully the white dots which seem to me to be small parasites. The tank is about 73degrees at this point. I'm trying to post a picture but it isn't easy. <center><table border=1><tr><td>
mime_msword.gif
Squishi's gills
~$uishi's gills.doc (0.2 k)</td></tr></table></center>

J

joan

Definately get some test kits and test your water parameters.

Ammonia/nitrite excess can be deadly.

Was your tank cycled?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!