Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Injured limb

andrew

Reaction score
my golden albino, priestess, has an injured front left limb. All toes and the foot and limb are still there, but she doesnt seem to be able to use it at all; it is just floating beside her body.. I am worried. what will happen to the limb? will she regain strength or not?

andrew

Reaction score
i have figured out the problem. my other axolotl, cello has been attacking her. I caught him red handed. Will try and fix, but still curious about limb healing... It now has, that i can see, two reasonably large wounds or scratches.

J

jennifer

You might want to get a tank divider. Separation is surely needed. Unfortunately, once an axie is injured, the other(s) are even more likely to attack it.

If you can get vet care, it might be best to amputate the limb. If not, then it will probably heal on it's own (but may not look or function quite right). If the wounds start to look nasty, give it a daily salt bath until the skin is healed well.

andrew

Reaction score
I think I have solved their dispute topic which was hiding places. Also I came home tonight and Priestess was freely moving her limb again so I think it's ok as there is also no fungus. Thanks for advice though.

andrew

Reaction score
i just got home from school again and it appears that they have been fighting again, preistess being the victim. this is the photo i have of the leg (front left). sorry about the quality. What should i do? Advice ASAP please.
69348.jpg

andrew

Reaction score
69357.jpg

yet another poor quality picture, but i need advice please. I have started salt bathing, seperated cello and priestess and am keeping water temps low, flow down, feed up, etc. is there anything else i can do?

J

jody

Mine's got something very similar (see my post about Chances of survival). Mine's in the fridge at the moment which seems to be common advice on the forum and axolotl.org
good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!