Stress?

J

jude

ok so i got my felix 2 days ago and have been reading/researching etc. he seems to be exhibiting physical signs of stress ie his tail is curled at the end and his gills look to me as though they're curled forward more than they should be. obviously this is nothing that i've caused, this is how he came from the pet shop. apart from this he seems ok, he's active (as active as can be expected from an axolotl, lol!) and he took an earthworm and some bloodworms when i brought him home, i'm going to feed him again tonight. (he's about 3 inches in length, should i be feeding him daily or every couple of days? i did try him last night but he just wasn't interested and his belly is nice and round)

anyway i just want to know if his physical symptoms will disappear when he's settled in his new home or is it permanent???
there are a couple of pics on my photobucket: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v303/girlybags/ if that helps

oh, just to add that he has a damaged front leg (i know he'll regenerate this but could it be the cause of some of his stress?)
and that water temp, flow from the filter etc is all as it should be

Hey Jude...Did you cycle the tank and de-chlorinate the water before you put him in. I would feed an axie that size daily....Ian

yeah the water is fine, i've kept coldwater fish for a while now and i did research housing requirements etc before i got felix and i've got a full water testing kit etc so i know that's not the prob.
thanks for the feeding advice i just wasn't sure, i'll feed him up tonight
happy.gif

Good on ya for doin ur research! If all stats are fine then he should settle down within a week. Just keep an eye on his leg for signs of fungus or other disease. It sounds like he should be fine though.
happy.gif
Welcome to the axie world and this great forum!
proud.gif

thanks for your replies, i'll keep an eye on his leg, no sign of anything like fungus, its just red and actually when i've just had a nosey at it it seems a lot less red than it was so hopefully he'll be ok.
he ate a fair few bloodworms last night so his appetite hasn't been affected! glad i 'rescued' him from the pet shop now
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back