Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloated axie

M

monica

I hope someone out there can help. I've got an albino female axie that is rather large around the stomach. At first I thought she may be carrying eggs but she is beyond the egg carrying size. She is not overfeed so this is definitely not to overindulgence. Her legs can no longer touch the floor. And as of this evening, she is floating tail end up at times but can still right herself. The water levels are at normal and safe levels. Any ideas?

A

alex

what are you feeding her and do you know the last time she pooped?.

J

jason

if you look in this section you will see a pic of one of my axies that got really fat i dont know why it got so bloated i didnt feed it much and its legs couldnt touch the floor a day later it was fine and there was loads of poo in their tank hope it all goes well give a day and see what happens

(Message edited by yabbie on July 31, 2006)

(Message edited by yabbie on July 31, 2006)

M

monica

I'm feeding her the colony pellets. She honestly doesn't eat too much. The other four tank mates look normal sized. I can't say when the last time she pooped was since I keep them all together in my 75 gal tank. It's hard to keep track of who's poop belongs to whom. Is there anything I can do to help her out if she is a little backed up? Would the fridge help?

M

monica

OK I just checked out your old post and my axie looks exactly like the one in the pic. Her cloacal region does not look red however. I've decided to stick her in the fridge to see if the lower temperature would help. The only tricky part is trying to catch her. I think I might have to go in after her and take a swim!

M

monica

would it be possible that she is just carrying eggs?? And if so, would having her in the fridge hurt the eggs or egg laying process?

M

monica

She's continuously sticking her nose and the top of her head out of the water...

M

monica

ok the vet can't see her until thursday afternoon. I'm worried she won't make it that long. Any tips guys? I'm biting my nails.

J

joan

Are you sure it's an axolotl and not a tiger salamander? What kind of aeration do you have? What kind of filter are you using?

M

monica

Ok she made it just fine. I took her in today and the vet actually knew what he was talking about. He saw Darwin and said how beautiful she was. An exam and an x ray later (not to mention 175$ later) we found that she was full of fluid. He said to use brackish water to see if that will fix the problem since he thought it was an osmosis problem. He drained the fluid and she's been in the fridge. I'll keep an eye on her and hope it doesnt come back! Thanks everyone for your help!

M

monica

Ok i've looked up the Holtrefeter's solution reccommended. My question is, would aquarium salt or pond salt be just as good?

J

joan

Monica, vet visits can be expensive. But our animals are worth it (but I won't pay $160 for ME to go to the doctor, forget that! lol).

Any salt will have similar effects on osmoregulation. I use Doc Wellfish's salt. However, if she has an osmosis problem, it may be a sign of underlying issues, such as kidney problems.

M

monica

Thanks Joan.
happy.gif
I totally know what you mean about visits being expensive. But they are well worth it. The vet did say it could be a multitude of problems and to fix the water condition and we can go from there. I really hope that it's something as simple as just the water.

M

monica

well she was doing just fine, eating, and not bloating up anymore. I went to the fridge today and I found her dead.
sad.gif
*siiiiiiiiiigh

kapo

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Monica. It's always hard losing a beloved pet.
sad.gif

A

amy

Hi there! I'm new to this site but soooo pleased to have found it... I'm desperate for some help. I have an albino Axolotl which has always been a rather sickly one, he was the runt of a litter and was a rescue pet from a pet shop where he was kept with fighting fish!!!!
Anyway although i'm saying he i dont actually know what it's sex is because 'he' seems to have characteristics of both! However 'he' hasn't eaten for a good couple of weeks i thought because of the heat but then today 'he' was huge! I have two and the wild type is usually massive, much bigger but now 'he' is just so fat. I'm going to upload a piccie so if any one has any idea please can you let me know what you think. Around the cloacal area is very swollen almost like a bubble.
Worried and caring...
Amy L.-x-
68961.jpg

A

anna

Some of the stones smaller than his head so he may have swallowed one and gotten blocked up.

Put him in the fridge so long as you fridge is 5C or above. Put him in a container (ice cream or similar)in some dechlorinated water. Change the water daily and try to feed him around that time.

If you keep another container or bottle of dechlorinated water in the fridge next to the main one, you can change the water quickly without shocking him with water temp differences.

Wat temp is the tank? If its above 24c and you cant get it lower (preferably under 20c), you may want to think about doing the same for your wildtype till you can get it stable and lower.

A

amy

This is part of the problem though look at the cloaca!! This isn't quite normal is it? It came at the same time! Thanks for advice! Amy L-x-
69100.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1