Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Round in circles

L

leigh

Hi all.. Hope you can help

I have two axies in my tank, one gold nd one ablino white. The gold axie is always in good health, while the white one keeps falling prey to cotton fungus on the gills.

I have had to put the white axie in isolation several times now, giving it salt baths etc until it gets better, this has been taking approx two weeks.. But not long after I return it to the main tank, it stops eating, becomes blood shot n the fungus sets in. This has happened 3 times.

I have had the axie for approx 3 months, nd in that time it has not grown much or looked at full health.. could something else b wrong?

J

jennifer

What is the tank water temperature? If it is cool enough, then I think the albino is just a weak specimen or somehow more susceptible to fungal infection. If you can bring down the temperature, that might help, but it sounds like the axie has some underlying problem.

L

leigh

water temp ranges between 15 - 18, dont think thats the problem.. Ure probly right about it being a week specimen. when it is eating it doesnt seem to put on any weight, constantly looks gaunt.. Poor thing
sad.gif

Also the base of its gills sometimes turn a blackish colour.. any clues?

P

peter

how do they react to each other and does the one which keeps getting fungus seem to be sulking?
try to put more hiding holes in as it could be feeling overwhelmed which can lead to it getting i'll.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1