Marble stuck in mouth

S

sharn

hello guys, just posting this for a friend of mine who works at a LFS, she just had a customer ring in and say they have an axolotl whos managed to get a marble in its mouth and its been that way for a week. she got told to remove the gravel right away which she has done. in theory it should be able to spit it back out but it musnt be able to in this case

this is what i posted in the meantime whilst i asked you guys what you think the best solution to this would be-

'get her to find some powder free disposable gloves as this will cause less damage to the axie than her hands will. she will need to get someone to hold the axie in a shallow bowl of tank water, one hand around the back feet/tail and one under the belly- this is normally a grip i use if i have to pick up my axies but if another method is easier thats cool as long as it isnt going to crush the legs/damage the body and wont hurt the gills. axies can wiggle like nothing ive seen so it might be a bit of a struggle, im not sure how one would go about holding an axie head. if she cant get her fingers in its mouth to remove it i would suggest perhaps plastic blunt chopping sticks with some sort of grip thing (unsure to what you could make this out of, perhaps tie bits of plastic glove around it to give it a more grip on the marble?) and try and remove it. if she manages to get it out put it back in the tank and leave it be for a while, adding a bit of stresscoat etc might be a good idea also as the axies slime coat will be damaged a bit.'

if she cant get it out i have offered to go and see if i can get it out for her.

so guys- any ideas on how to go about this one? theres not much that you could put in an axies mouth to try and get a slippery marble out lol.

thanks in advance!

never mind, she managed to get it out somehow
happy.gif

lol i just take stuff out of mines mouth if it gets stuck lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back