Too young to be in fridge?

S

shane

Hi, i was wondering if a baby axolotl (12cms) is too small to be in the fridge. i havent done anything yet but one hasnt been eating for about a week and for the last 4 days has been floating, and looks very bloated.
is there anything else i can do?

If its floating up the top you could put it in a separate container with shallow enough water so that he can touch the ground. As for the fridge, it would depend on the temp of it I guess. I put mine in the fridge yesterday and he seems ok. He is about 13cms roughly. If he hasnt been eating it will slow his metabolism down and it might help. Just make sure u change the water daily and wrap the container in a tea towel or something to shield against the light and temp fluctuations. Wat sort of conditions is it in now? Temp? Setup? pH?

I've had a 10cm axie in the fridge without any probs, as long as your fridge temp isn't lower than 5 deg cel MINIMUM.

i put a 8cm in the fridge over night too, havent had to put any of mine in the fridge for a long time but i think at 12cm it would be ok

thank you so much! im starting to get worried. thge axolotl doesnt seem to be getting any better. at the moment it's in a seperate container, i change the water daily. ill put it in the fridge and see how it all turns out.
thank you so much everyone. lol i think i stress too much.
Thanks again!

Hiccups?! is that possible? can axoltols hiccup?
it looked exactly like it was hiccupping... does that mean anything?
ahhhh

it seems to be alot more active in the fridge... is that normal? lol this is a new experience for me. fortunately ive never had to put either of the adults in the fridge.
it seems to have helped though, its not floating as much but is still a little wobbly when it swims.
thanks everyone

well floating and bloating is associated with gram zero bacteria, in the fridge his metabolism slows down and he is more able to deal with the disease if is that the case.

oh thats good to know. thank you! he seems to be better which is a relief. thanks everyone.

hey. things seem to be getting worse! it hasn't eaten t all for the week and a bit its going very very pale and is still floating. it stopped floating when it was in the fridge but when i took it out it has just got worse. what can i do?!

(Message edited by shane_88 on April 25, 2006)

ok i just looked at it again, and its whole bottom lip/neck whatever it is seems to be very bloated like its full of air or something. i remember a few when they died when they were alot younger thats what they looked like. im goiong to put it back in the fridge. it seemed to help a bit. but its so so pale!
help!

hey. it died this morning. its sad,it was one of my favourite babies/juvies (i think inbetween the two) but i knew it was coming it hadnt eaten for about 2 weeks and wasnt looking too good.
i still have no idea what was wrong with it, its whole mouth/neck was even more swollen, and still very pale.
thank you everyone for your help! i really appreciate it.

ive seen a few posts about swelling/bloating, it seems to be from kidney/liver failure?

It happened again! why is it happening!!!??!?!?!? poor thing. i came home to find one of my little ones floating on its back.... thats the second one that bloated and died. i didnt even get a chance to put him in the fridge. now ive only got 3out of the 5 babies left. what can i do!?!?!?
it could be a genetic kidney/liver thing like sharn said. but why is it only affecting them now?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back