Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Out of water and now a fungus

D

deb

Our two 18mth old axolotls successfully spawned the other day and we removed the male from the tank. Regrettably, we chose a container with low sides and he jumped out during the night. We don't know how long he was out before my son woke and put him back in the tank.

7 days have passed and he seems to have overcome his problem of being too full of air. But, he seems very sick (lethargic and not eating) and has a white fluffy mold(?) on his belly. We have treated it by direct application of methyl blue -pet shop recommendation - and I've now read about salt baths. Has anyone any experience with this combination of problems? We're feeling useless just watching him so sick.

Many thanks

S

sharn

it would just be fungus probably, salt baths will hopefully clear them up in no time. there are many posts around discussing them and the ratios but if you cant find them let us know and someone will post them for you.

make sure you keep his water nice and clean and cool and keep up with the salt baths and hopefully he will make a quick recovery

D

deb

Thank you for your reply Sharn. Sadly, our wonderful, plucky little axolotl died overnight. We are really hoping at least one of his 8 day old embryos survives to take his place in the tank. And we hope it will be just as snappy and boisterous as its dad.

S

sharn

sorry for your loss! sometimes they can be out for a long time and recover, and sometimes they can be out for a few minutes and not make it
sad.gif

all the best for your babies and i hope they turn out just like their daddy!

F

fran

im so sorry for you sometimes it a comfort to know it happened to someone else. mine jump out and it was lethargic too and just stayed on the bottom of the separate container i put him in to recover. you miss the one thats missing fran

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1