My axal just wont eat

C

coffo

hey all its been a while since i posted
my axalotl was a nice and fat at the begining of the summer but once it started getting hot it has been a huge struggle to get it too eat and im lucky if it will eat once a week
and it is now really really skinny and im pretty sure its going to die
what can i do
and before someone says it the fridge dosnt work it is so dazed it dosnt even know the food is there never mind wanting to eat it

freeze large plastic bottles of water and place them in the tank. u need atleast 2 so u can rotate them.
if that dont work cos the tank is to big place him in a medium sized container and place the bottles in that. this way the water get cooler quicker and stays cool longer.
oh and fill the bottles about 85% to allow the water to expand.
good luck

coffo, the fridge does work if an axie is sick/stressed as it slows its metabolism down to give it a chance to heal/destress. While in the fridge depending on how low your fridge temp. (ours sits between 5-7deg celc. it won't necessarily eat - the fridge isn't meant to make it eat; and any food, if any, that still resides in its gut will either be pooed out or vomited/regurgitated as it can't be digested normally cos of its slowing metabolism and wud just rot in its belly).

Also, when you use frozen bottles of water make sure the water is dechlorinated, in case it leaks or bursts (one of the Aussie owners had this happen to their axie tank with frozen tapwater and their axie died). Never use straight icecubes, this cud cause fluctuating temps. which can also stress an axie. Another method of cooling is if you are able to get a fan or pedestal fan (they're easiest to adjust if you can get one) and have it blowing across the surface top of the water, that helps too.

As long as your axie is eating, even once a week and not showing any signs of infection, illness, floating (which cud be heat related) or fungus; and if you are able to keep your tank lower than 23-24degrees celc. then you shouldn't need to place it in the fridge .

When did it last eat and what is the tank temp? Also, is the tank in a cool room or is it able to be moved to a cooler part of the house, might also help?

(Message edited by kapo on August 01, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back