Eek

On a further note, This large lump appears to have sprung up overnight, I can't remember seeing it yesterday. And now the Axie seems more active, WHich I find weird, But please, Help! Worried!

Yet another further note, Her head seems to have swollen slightly, Her eyes don't seem to protrude a little bit as they did, Someone help!! I'm getting very worried about this. :-(

Ok, Give me a while though, The tank is not the best for taking photos of due to lighting etc, And she's not a very posey Axie lol. I can describe it for the moment though, It's about one centimetre in width and about 5mm in height, Right in the centre on the top of her head, My first thought was that she had given herself a nasty bump on something, Is that possible? Photo to follow as soon as possible.

Ok, I can't get a photo, Even with the tank light on and as much natural light as can be provided, My camera (It's only on my phone :s) Is not good enough. Apologies. The 'specs' are above, And it is the same texture/Colour as her skin, with no obvious damage on the surface.

Well no change overnight, The lump is still there, Anyone any clues? Fluid buildup of some kind? Brain tumor? My axie needs help :-(

Do many if any vets deals with Axies though? Anyone know anywhere that does? Any information would be welcomed.

On a plus side, The lump does appear to have gone down slightly, So if that means anything please inform me. :)

if the lump is going down then she could have just banged her head against something and now its healing.

Just to wind the thread up, My axie is getting better by the looks of things, The lump has gone down a lot, Thanks for the help people :)

Didn't want to post in this thread again, I thought my Axie was better, But something... Different happened. The spot that used to be on my Axie's head went down, Then kinda... burst. There's little bits of some white stuff on her head, And now she's not moving much, And still not eating at all.

Any ideas?

That sounds very distressing! No luck finding a vet? Have you tried the fridge?

I didn't find a vet, No. I thought she was getting better, And I haven't tried the fridge either, What exactly do you do with the fridge? (Obviously put the Axie in it) But what temperature must it be at? What do you put it in, And for how long etc etc? As much information as possible is needed please, I like to be very sure of these things.
Thanks.

as long as fridge temp isn't BELOW 5degrees celcius.
If not sure of temp, place a thermometer in a glass of water and put in fridge.

1. Use 2 foodsafe plastic containers with a lid(ie icecream or one big enuf to fit your axie)
2. Put your axie in the first container (can either use the same tank water or fresh dechlorinated water that is the same temp as your tank water).
2. Cover with lid (you can pierce holes in top, but not necessary), wrap in tea/dish towel and place in fridge (*towel is to stop light flashes and temp spikes from fridge door opening and closing)
3. Fill the 2nd container with dechlorinated water and place in fridge beside your axie, and also a bottle of dechlorinated water (in case you need to do saltbaths)
4. Do complete daily waterchanges. Easiest way is to net axie and transfer over to the 2nd container of cold dechlorinated water and put back in the fridge. Then wash/rinse the orig. container fill with dechlorinated water for the next day's waterchange and place back in the fridge.

* The temp will slow axies metabolism down so may not eat for few days.
* You can offer food every few days, but don't be surprised if they don't eat. You will also notice that s/he will vomit/regurgitate any uneaten food and poo especially in the first few days.
* Your axie can stay in the fridge as long as it needs to. One of ours was in the fridge for 3.5 weeks. Also, they can do without food for up to a month.

Thanks a lot Kapo, I'm going to get that underway very soon, When should I know to take her back out again? And on yet another note, Now she seems to have a kind of depression in her head where the spot used to be, It's quite large actually and pretty deep, Anyone any idea? Just seems this Axie don't wanna get better! :-(

P.S. Any advice on salt baths would be greatly appreciated, Never done one before.

Thanks a million.

Sorry, not sure about the depression in the head bit! Could the white bits be fungus? Just that in very warm temps an axie can develop fungus especially to an area/wound.

Saltbaths (can be done twice a day):

If you only choose to do one saltbath a day, then do it when you do the daily waterchange.
* Put the cold dechlorinated water (from the bottle in the fridge) into a container
* EDIT: Add 2-3 TEASpoons salt per litre or for 2pints (Geez sorry must be tired, getting late here!)
* Transfer your axie from container into saltbath
* Cover and leave axie in for 10-15 minutes max.
* After saltbath, transfer axie to the clean container of cold dechlorinated water, and place back in fridge.

Leave your axie in the fridge until it starts healing. It will take time and won't happen overnight (hopefully not too much time).

NB: Also keep the water level in the container/s (that s/he will be in ) just above the top fin, so their feet can rest on the bottom of the container and they don't float.

(Message edited by kapo on June 25, 2006)

(Message edited by kapo on June 25, 2006)

Thanks a lot, Really helped me there :) However having problems as the fridge is below five degrees, And I can't find a container big enough for my Axie, She's pretty big nowadays :-S

I found some Aqualibrium at my local shop, Says it's salt for aquariums, And specifically for treating fungus and bacterial disease, Guessing that should be ok?

Are you able to adjust the fridge temp so its 5deg or slightly higher?

Or alternatively, try and keep the tank as cool as you can (below the 20s would be better) and just give her daily saltbaths.

How big is she? I know the feeling, we went to put one of our "babies" (now 25cm and only 9ish months) into the fridge recently and I had to go buy a plastic container from the $2 shop as s/he was a bit squashed in the usual 2litre icecream containers we used to use, and we didn't have anything wider! Can you get a large container, preferably with lid, so you can use it in the fridge too, from the 1 Pound shop (if you have one nearby) or Woolworths?

I suppose if its for the aquarium it should be ok.

Aha! I tried my upstairs little fridge in my room, And a thermometer in a glass of water came out at 7 degrees! That's after being in there about and hour and a half, Should that be ok? If it is then all I need to do is find a large container now :)

I feel odd putting my Axie in such a cold place :-S It hasn't got a light in the fridge either by the way, So will it need to be covered with a lid? The room is usually dark so it won't get stressed out by light changes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back