Regurgitating worms! sick?

N

nina

I have two axos - one albino and one dark-brownsih (wild color).

I fed my axolotls about 3-4 earth-worms each every week. They did fine for a few months, but then started regurgitating them. Sometimes they would eat them again (after regurgitating.) I couldn't get them too keep any worms down so I thought it might be too much food. As a trial I gave each axolotl one worm to see if they would keep it down. One did and one threw it up (I don't know which one). Then the brown axo ate the pre-regurgitated worm. How can I keep them from regurgitating their food or is this normal? How much should I feed them, and how often?

Thanks,
gecko1

AHHAH mine does it all the time. Its just when she eats to much or she swallowed sand (or gravel)

How often are you feeding the axolotls? Are you offering more than one worm at a time?

Ed

Now I'm feeding them each one or two small redworms about twice a week. That's my plan anyway, so far I've done this once (two days ago), i fed Tiza (the albino) two worms and Finnigan Marvin (the wild-type) one worm. They kept them down! Hope they will continue to.

-gecko1

Just an update: I went on vacation for a week and I got back yesterday and gave each axo 2 red-worms. Both axos kept both worms down. Yay! We're making progress.

Also, there is no substrate in the tank at the moment (I'm working on it) so the regurgitating couldn't be from the axos eating too much sand/gravel.

-gecko1

Glad to hear it, Nina. I think it was just a case of overfeeding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back