Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red spot?

B

bel

Hi Guys. This is my first post here - too bad it has to be one asking for help
sad.gif
. I have just bought my very first Axolotl. His name is Wally (or it could be a her :p ) I have had him for about 4 weeks and have just noticed a red spot appear on the top of his side. I dont know what it is, and was wondering if anyone can offer an opinion on what it is, and how to fix it.

Wally seemes to have settled in ok to his new home - he could do with a clean out now but other than that, I think he looks ok. What do you guys think? Thank you for your help!! Bel.

PS sorry that the pics are a bit blurry. Not sure on the best way to take Wally's photo yet!!!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a211/friend2birds/a3e02d00.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a211/friend2birds/8c82d9e5.jpg

S

stewart

Sorry i cant help with that cause i have never seen sompthing like that. Are there any shrp objects in the tank? Is it a flesh woond or a growth?

As to photo taking look at the photo discusion section of the forum.

B

bel

Thanks for trying Stewart. If I could describe it, I would have to say that it reminds me of an ulcer. Like a red pimple but it is an innie not an outie :p

I checked the pH and it was a bit too alkaline. Could water levels affect the skin surface of an Axie? Just a thought. Thanks, Bel.

S

stewart

Take him to a vet because it might be cancer though im not shour. The water should be about seven i think. Look at axolotl.org or the axolotl section of caudata culture for the right Ph.

J

joan

Axolotls are very sensitive to water quality. More important than pH is Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. These all need to be within proper parameters.

I doubt it's cancer. It's probably just an ulcer. Keep an eye on it, and if it shows signs of fungus, you should start salt baths.

B

bel

Thank you all so much. This is my first Axy and I want to make sure he is nice and comfy.

The red spot has gone down a little today. Hopefully it was just something to do with the water balance.

Thanks again for your help!!
Bel.

A

alex

have you cycled your tank? i advise u take that gravel out before he swallows it by accident and gets ill. to me the red spot just looks like he scratched it on something but keep an eye out for fungus.

B

bel

Great, thank you.

I am definetly wanting to take the gravel out. I watch him eat every night and sometimes he does grab some of the gravel. He spits it out, but I am aware - especially from reading other peoples posts, that they do swallow the gravel and this can block them up.

Where do you buy the sand from? From a pet shop? aquarium? Can you use normal sand? Does it neet to be treated sand?

thanks again, Guys,

Bel.

A

alex

i got my sand from a hard ware store. it was called builders sand. it was all good, i just boiled it and sived it into a pillow case and it is great!. some pet stores sell sand but they sell it at rediculous prices. better of to get it from a pool store or warehouse store.

B

bel

Thanks alex. I will do that today!! I am sure wally will say thank you to you!!! Bel.
wink.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1