Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is my axie eating gravel?

Y

yvette

hi i am just wondering how do you tell if your axie has eaten gravel when i first got them i had gravel but have since changed to sand. both my axies are albino in colour so you can see their insides and to me it looks like they have lumps of gravel inside them is there any way i can tell. they seem to be eating ok but they dont swim around much just walk on the bottom. but then they have never been really active, if anyone could help me with this it would be helpfull thankyou in advance
happy.gif

kapo

Reaction score
if they've eaten gravel it may take up to several days to pass the gravel. Our 3 sets adults 25-28cm size had been on the pebbly 1 and 2cm gravel (with previous owners), and were still pooing them out up until a month ago is the last time I spotted and removed any from their tanks (btw our adults we've had since Jan/Feb/Mar!) Makes me cringe! But as your gravel was smaller may take less time to come out.

(Message edited by kapo on June 02, 2006)

Y

yvette

ok thankyou i am forever sitting there watching axal and angel anyway cause they are so fascinating so i will just keep an eye on them to make sure they are ok
happy.gif

J

joan

If you have gravel, chances are that they're eating it, whether you're watching them or not. I would get rid of the gravel, and switch to something that can't be ingested, or will pass through easily.

Adult axies don't swim a lot. Instead, they just walk around.

Y

yvette

thankyou i do now have sand in with them which is looking alot better than the gravel
happy.gif

i dont think they are very old as they are only 4.5" but they never seem to swim around lol think they are just lazy.
i did walk in the room earlier tho and find one of them sitting on a little plant i have in with them it was soooooo sweet i just had to take a pic of it hahahahaha
happy.gif

T

tom

Do axolotls usually poo put gravel? when i got mine she had been on gravel and she was spitting it out from her mouth for a few weeks after. Is this normal?

kapo

Reaction score
Tom, we have 3yr old axies that were on gravel with their previous owners. We have always had ours on sand, and I have never seen them spit out gravel but have seen them poo it out even up to 2months after we first got them.

ps: that's not to say it never happened (but the gravel ours swallowed was large (1-2cm) - I assume spitting it out is normal as ours spits sand that gets caught up with their food and at least its coming out somewhere!

(Message edited by kapo on June 04, 2006)

L

luke

I had blue gravel for a day...then switched to sand. Soon I found blue bits of gravel on the sand. So yes they do swallow it.

F

funkypuppy

I have two axies, and one has suddenly become bloated beyond proportion, but not floating. Really enormous, looks like it should burst! Seems to pin itself beside the rock to stay put. Been off its food for the last week or so. Desperately need help on this one, really worried it will die soon.

(Message approved by ed)

R

rayza

My Axie is eating gravel and pooing it out. it only does this when im due to feed him (once every 3 days) my axie is acting perfectly normal and has no sign of sickness but im still woried about him. is it possible that my axie can die from eating gravel. i just fed him today plz tell me before he is next due to be fed.

(Message approved by jennewt)

S

steph

pepper ate gravel she maneged to poop it all out so we put sand in now she jut eats sand.
fish spit gravel out

(Message approved by jennewt)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!