Floating and sinking

T

tom

Recently i have noticed my axie behaving rather oddly. She swims to the surface, takes in air, floats, then burps out air and sinks. This morning she was floating for quite a time and the water was quite warm. she finally came done but this is now happening a round twice a day. Any ideas?

My rosa does that. I think it's normal. Watch the temp of your water though.

She has also started floating and then sinking for no apparent reason?

perhaps you have not seen her get some air?

what is the temp of your water, axies will often float if they are stressed by something

Tom, I think her water temperature maybe too hot. I have been putting frozen ice bottles in Axelina's tank for the last week, as well as a fan blowing towards the water surface to cool her down. However I have now put Axelina in the fridge as I was unable to keep her water temperature under 24C anymore.Am waiting for her replacement cooler to arrive. Temperature of 24C or over is very bad for them, they get ill very easily and can even die.
Good luck!

When i left to go to school this morning she was on the bottom but when i got back she was floating. When i am in the house i keep it as low as possible, at the moment 20.5-21 degrees c, but when i wake up in the morning or come home from school it has often gone up to 23 degrees c. There are no signs of heat stress like slime or fungus though and the odd thing is she gulps air in now and again. Please help.

The problem i have as well is that our fridge is 2 degrees c which i think is too cold so i can only rely on ice bottles and a fan. Any suggestions to help lower the temperature would also help.

She is now floating for much longer and more often. can anyone help?

Tom, that's not good she is floating more. Can you ask if the fridge temperature can be changed, so she can go to fridge? I changed my fridge temperature so Axelina can be there. Please talk seriously to the person who is in charge of the fridge temperature.
Good luck

I am not sure that you can change the fridges temperature and that it automatically goes to a set temperature. I will ask any way. My mum did suggest getting a second hand fridge that wouldn't be so powerful to put her in. However i don't think the floating is caused by bacteria or fungus as i have seen her taking gulps of air.

Also on most websites it says that floating is only a problem when it occurs for extended amounts of time but just how long is that? when i say she is floating longer it is normally for about 2-3 hours.

On wednesday morning she did do a large poo but still floated. The tank temperature has gone done to about 20*c now and after giving her a few tummy rubs i have got her down of the top. However her back end is floating and every so often she completely floats but quickly goes back to just her back end floating. A problem now though is she won't eat. I have tried giving her small worms but she just grabs them and spits them out. can anyone help?

Mine sometimes floats around on the top, But for me it's usually a temporary problem. Tends to go back down after a few minutes, The high temperatures might have something to do with the lack of eating, Especially seeing as though it has been so warm in England recently. I tried mine with a bit of prawn recently, She ate it at last :).

By the way Tom, Where do you get your worms from? What kind are they? I have loads of worm in the composter but I don't know how to go about feeding them to her, Anyone give any advice?

Tom, have you tried earthworms? Compost worms occasionally have a bad taste and may be refused.

Thanks for all the help but i am afraid chiqua, my axie, died last night. When i came up stairs she was floating on her side and she died before i could really do anything to help. I would be interested to know if anyone knows what could be the cause.

Oh Tom, am sooooo sorry to hear that. So very sad news. You took such good care of her. I hope somebody will be able to shed some light into what may have happened. It sounds very similar to what happened to Rosie. See my thread 'walking like a scorpion'.

It may have been a bacterial infection. This can cause floating. I'm sorry for your loss.

Thanks. I wonderd about a bacterial infection as well as she seemed to be floating even though i hadn't noticed any gulping also her gills used to be a redish colour but in the days leading up to her death they had gone a sort of blueish grey.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back