HELLP!!!!

S

stewart

Yesterday i discoverd that one of my axolotls had receved an ingery to his leg. I think that there is bone showing through and there is a part of his leg is compleatly missing his mussel. He dosnt move mush and has been moved into a holding tank. He flots half way in the tank. He eats fine and can swim. Would amputation from a vet be good in this case or otherre medication.

I have provided picture bellow please reply as you could save the life of my axie. It also looks infected with fungus.
65014.jpg
65015.jpg

ouch, that looks quite sore. start salt baths immediatly, twice a day for now and see how he gets on. keep the water clean and cool. do more water changes if you have to. if he doesnt improve within the week or starts to worsen please let us know so we can try to help you further. good luck!

By the time i could get on the internet again and when i got the salt the fungus had grow lots. It had now spread to the hands and the fungus had become thicker. I started the salt baths on Sunday and to day it is Wednesday. The lim is looking much healther but it is just bone with some flesh on it. It is eating, moving as much of the lim as it can and swiming around more. Since the lim is practaly a skeleton what should i do about this?

So long as you are keeping the water clean and cool and doing the salt baths he should hopefully do the rest himself. If the limb is looking healthier already then your axie should have a good chance at recovering. At the moment you are doing all you can for him short of taking him to a vet which you may not need to do at all. Keep an eye on him and let us know how he goes.

well as I wrote several times on this forum I´m a little bit against salt baths as it damaged your axie skin and gills, I prefer and in my experience it´s better to put the axie under running tap water and remove the fungus with tweezers, I use salt but only a small proportion added to the water of the tank.
I will be concerned with the gills of your axie , why are they so small? keep an eye on the water levels.
Also the limb looks fine in the picture I´ve seen worst cases and it got better.
amputation it isn´t necessary, one of my axies had his leg in a worst shape and it healed just fine the only problem is that his wrist didn´t heal normal he now walks in he´s wrist instead of he´s hand, which it seem not to affect him, but for us it looks strange so we think in amputation.
Axies are strong guys they can handle it.

The limb in the picture now looks like a pirate from pirate of the carabbean. Half of it has fallen off now it looks like a stump. Ill try post pics tomoro or monday

That's bad luck. I've had mixed results with salt baths. Worked very well when my axi got a gill infection but now that he has damaged skin (see earlier posting & photo under "white spots") salt baths seemed just to make things worse. Am now treating with amoxycillin suspension (again), frequent water changes and a few drops of mercurochrome. He's hanging in there but has not eaten for nearly 3 weeks which is a worry.

Salt bath 2 times a day with table salt 2-3 table spoons per 2 pints of water. Only for 10 mins at a time because salt can damage the axlotl lef in there to long.

Its sad about your axolotl stu but i think yu have to catch these things quickly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back