Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloated Axolotl

P

penny

Desperately need help and advice, I was given two axies for Christmas, Kath and Kim (have no idea what sex they are), Kath was very sick at first, thought she was going to die a number of times, but she came through, but in the meantime Kim grew over twice the size. Anyway now Kim has stopped eating a few weeks ago, and totally bloated up. She looks like she is pumped full of air. Not sure if it is pebbles/gravel, so after reading your site last night, I took all the gravel out and will put sand in. Also she has white speaks all over,not sure if this is pigmentation or fungus? She is not floating to the surface, but is tending to try and pin herself under the rocks, thus red marks on her tail and back. PLEASE HELP!
66303.jpg

L

lorie

HOLY HELL!
Ok if she's floating lower the water level so she's still submerged but so she can touch the bottom. She wont stress out as much if she can touch the ground.
Is she still eating? You can force feed them but it ca sometimes damage them (which im sure you wont want.)
If she's swallowed gravel you can only really let her poop it out.If she doesn't put her in a bare bottomed tank on her own. If it doesn't clear in a week or two.

L

lorie

Oh yeah 1 more thing look at the temperature. If it too high this can happen. It has to be about 14 °C (57 °F) and 22 °C (72 °F).

P

penny

Thanks, it is winter here in Sydney, and the temperature is pretty cold!

She does not float even when she is not under the rock, but I will lower the water level to accommodate just incase it is stressing her out.

No she has not eaten for a few weeks.

L

lorie

If this doesn't work after a few days, it may be worth keeping the Axolotl at a temperature between 5 and 10 °C (41-50 °F) which can aid the Axolotl's recovery. Below about 12 °C, you won't need to feed the Axolotl. Keep it this way for a 10-14 days and then slowly warm it back to a more normal temperature (14 °C / 57 °F to 22 °C / 72 °F) and then try feeding it again. If this doesn't work, the axolotl may need antibiotic treatment

P

penny

Thanks, it is winter here in Sydney, and the temperature is pretty cold!

She does not float even when she is not under the rock, but I will lower the water level to accommodate just incase it is stressing her out.

No she has not eaten for a few weeks.

L

lorie

Alllrighty then ^_^

There's not alot else you can do. How old is she?

P

penny

Young but not sure, got them at Christmas and they have grown quite a lot since.

K

karen

This looks pretty bad - check some of the old posts Penny until someone else can help. There were some posts about bloated axies a while ago and if i remember one turned out to be a problem with one of the organs and the other a bacterial infection. That's just from memory though -= don't take my word for it ! I would say it needs a vet though !

J

joan

I'd say it's gravel impaction. The legs and throat don't appear to have any signs of swelling, and the cloaca looks quite red, like it's trying to poo but can't.

PS: The white flecks look like natural coloring. Fungus would be fuzzy or slimy looking.

(Message edited by Joan on June 11, 2006)

L

luke

I'd agree with joan, it needs a big poo. Why do I have the image of a balloon whizzing around. Ok jokes aside it does look red around her cloaca region, almost as if she is blocked. I'd be interested to know if it was air or fluid that is building up? If you want it to live go take it to a vet.

J

joan

If the axolotl isn't floating, it's not air buildup.

I would get it to a qualified vet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1