Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White spots

B

bart

Help!! When I left my house for 5 hours ago both of my axies seemed perfectly alright. But when I returned, both of them had a sort of white spots with a circle around it on their tail. They both have about 3 of these spots. Does anyone know what this is and how I should threat it? It isn't a very sharp picture but it's all I have. Thanx
65541.jpg

B

bart

By the way. They are both eating very good. I've fed them red musquito larve and tubifix (don't know if that's the english word for it)

A

alex

hey barbabart, welcome to the forum
happy.gif
very nice looking axie you have.

could it be fungus? are the spots sort of fluffly looking. if it is fungus then give them salt baths twice daily and it shouldnt take to long to go...

B

bart

Thanx Alex! They both do (did) look great. They now are about 2,5 inch. I wonder how long it's going to take before they reach 8 inch. I will try the salt baths. How much salt should I put in? I've read that a salt bath should not take longer than 10 minutes. Am I correct? Just to be sure I'll ask at my local petshop. Unfortunately it's sunday tomorrow.

kapo

Reaction score
Our young axies (now 8mths) were all the same size, 3inches when we got them. 5 months on and they range from 20-23cm/8-9inches.

AS for salt baths: Use 2 teaspoons aquarium salt or non-iodized table salt per litre, twice a day. It shudn't be longer than 10-15minutes, because the salt will start to damage the axolotl's skin and particularly its gills. We tended to keep ours in for 10minutes rather than 15mins.

L

luke

Is it just me or does it look like that axie isn't in any water. But I know it is due to the way the gills are.
talker.gif

andrew

Reaction score
While we are on white spots etc, can anyone identify this?
65590.jpg
This was the result of handling whilst I was treating for an internal bacterial infection (.5ml amoxycillin suspension into stomach) which has now gone. This axi has still not eaten for 2 weeks but at least appears interested in life now!

B

bart

I've bathed them in saltbaths for 3 days now and it has only become worse. At the petshop they told me to use eSHa 2000. Does this seem like a good idea?? As I'm not sure it's safe for my axies.
65688.jpg

B

bart

They are now in the fridge. The eSHa2000 seems to work. The spots are getting smaller but are still there. Can anyone tell me how long it ussualy takes to heal from funges? Thanx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!