Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Vomiting

S

sarah

rap happily ate hes 2 worms this moring, then about 2 hours ago he was swimming around like a maniac, stopped, spat out the 2 worms, and ran into his cave.
i tested the water and everything is fine.
is this normal?

S

sharn

axies will often spit up their food, lots of reasons why they could do it but it could just be he felt like it? keep an eye on him and see if anything happens like this again

M

mary

hi there, one of our boys gobbled up a worm recently then had a major regurgitation- i then found out hubby had fed him earlier- our axies are such piggies they are always looking for food. I knew my fellow wasn't sick coz when i waggled his feeding tool in front of him afterwards, he leapt at it as usual!

S

sarah

yeah rap is doing alright now, not vomiting but he has not done a poo in 3 days. but hes acting normal.
sick.gif

S

sharn

its possible you just missed his poop, they are very delicate and can break up into a million pieces very easily if say the axie swims past it fast etc

J

joão

sometimes axies spit they´re worms cause they don´t like they´re taste, and about the poo I saw for several times axies eating poo too.

S

sarah

ok i know whats going on.
i just caught him pooing and eating it straight after
uhoh.gif

M

mary

wow i thought only female dogs did that- don't tell me axies are that intelligent that they are trying to remove traces of their presence by eating their poos?!

A

alex

yea thats weird??. what kind of worms were you feeding him? when i fed my axies worms from the compost they vomit them back up everytime. i just stick with earth worms or blood worms...

J

joan

They probably eat the poo because it smells like food. I highly doubt it's to 'remove traces of their presence'.

S

sarah

just normal earth worms from the garden.
but i have caught rap trying to eat everything lately, poop, weeds, plastic plants which i removed for this reason and the new house mate daddy. rap eats about 4 worms a day and still wants more!

A

alex

how old is rap? are you feeding him to much?. adults should only need to be fed every 2-3 days. but if hes juvenille then its alright.

M

mary

our juvies are little piglets- the tank is in the kitchen and if they haven't been fed they both hover at the glass while i am cooking tea making me feel guilty! i must say that they get a lot of treats of whatever is being prepared for the humans that nite- eg: raw steak, schnitzel, fish etc...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1