Whats wrong

T

topher

ever since i bought my new axie (the one that had his frills chewed off by goldfish) he hasn't eat'n anything i got him a nice new huge home(a nice 24" by 18" tank) whats going on any suggestions

and i just tried to dangle food in front of his face and nothing HELP!!!

Do you have a test kit? If so, what are the parameter readings (ammonia, nitr<font color="ff0000">ITE</font>s, nitr<font color="119911">ATE</font>s, ph)?

Since the tank is newly set up, did you seed it with beneficial bacteria from filters, substrates, etc. from the other tank(s)?

(Message edited by j4782 on May 04, 2006)

no i have no idea what your talking about what do i need where do i get it and how do i do it please HELP!!!

If you dont have test kits for the substances Jinny mentioned then ask at your local aquarium or pet store if they will test your water for those 4 things. Write them down if it helps. Have you cycled the tank? If not, did you use any filters, substrate or ornaments from previously used tanks to start off your bacteria populations? Read this site: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml it will tell you about cycling.
How long has it been since it has eaten? Usually it takes them a little while to settle in and eat when you first get them, especially if they have been stressed at the shop like yours was. Also, what foods have you tried?
Most pet shops will at least sell pH test kits if they sell any aquatic life and they may sell the other kits which are worthwhile getting.
Sorry bout all the questions but its easier to help with more info.
Hope all this helps and you little buddy gets better soon.
frog.gif

well for the new tank i used the used filter from the old tank i did put all the same ornaments from the old tank i have tried blood worms meal worms earth worms night crawlers and the pellets i have and its been about a week since he has eat'n maybe longer i will take some of the water down to the pet store and ask them to test it what should a the reading be at for him to be happy should i take him out and put him in the fridge

good news just dangled some food in front of him and he eat it and it looks like he is getting some of his frills back

Glad to hear he's getting better. It was most likely stress that caused his lack of appetite. Ammonia and Nitrite levels should be at 0 and Nitrate I think is meant to be 0.25 (corrections if required please). If you havent cycled the tank you should prolly change about 25% of the water every couple of days I think it is. Dont worry about the fridge for now. If he looks ok and he's eating he should be fine.

Nitr<font color="119911">ate</font>s will not likely ever be as low as 0.25ppm. 20ppm or less is good.

The fridge water must be changed 100% daily. You can transition your axies with less stress by pouring him or her into a new container (no exposure to air or chasing needed).

It sounds like you've taken a good amount of the beneficial bacteria with your axie to the new tank (they are on the surfaces of the filter and decorations), so if there is a cycle, it will be a shorter time to build up enough beneficial bacteria. Keep in mind that they do need poop to reproduce, so don't change the water while your axie's not in the tank.
happy.gif

(Message edited by j4782 on May 06, 2006)

its back he hasen't ate in like a week now i have tried everything i dangle the worms in front of him he bits then drops it

where are these worms coming from? compost worms often wont be taken as they taste/smell funny. i have always had sucess with plain old garden worms that eat dirt hehe.

do some more water changes, perhaps 30% twice a week, keep him cool and keep offering tasty morsels. a week isnt that long for an axie not to eat, if he doesnt eat for another week perhaps we need to look at something else. good luck topher!

i bought them from a pet store it says bait all over the tub i do water changes about 2 - 3 times a week of 30% the water is all foggy you can read about it in my other post so what do you think now what a good temp for them is it a good thing if they are always moving when i had him in the 10 gallon he was not very active now i got him a 25 or 30 gal. that is 24inches by 22 inches so there is a ton of space he is 9 inches i think he is very impressive

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back