In new tank now tail wounded

M

mary

hi there, i feel really bad- put my teenage axies into a bigger tank only yesterday and tonight i see like a big piece missing from my pink "girls" tail and like a graz on her wee back. Could her "brother" have done it or maybe she scraped it- they are quite nervous in their new big house. i have tried to put hidey holes etc. Have just put some melafix in- have other people found that helpful? It smells very potent... my babies have never been wounded before.

How much did you use, I think its sposed to be diluted down when used for axies as it may be harmful, correct if I'm wrong someone, cos I've never used melafix. They are probably just a bit nervous settling into their new home/tank. Sometimes takes a day or so. Might have been better to have given her saltbaths for a few days if you were concerned about her.

Does melafix muck up a cycled tank? I thought it kills all the good bacteria, somebody correct me if i am wrong. Might be something to keep in mind. I have never used melafix personally

dont think it does, never read it anywhere. perhaps you are thinking of Formalin?

i do have a thought about it needing to be a half dose or something but i cant be 100% sure on that, the page on axolotl.org will tell you i think. when in doubt use half dose i say :p

mary- they are just settling in, moving tanks is stressful and they may have had a wee freak out and bumped into something. axies are good healers but keep your eye on it
happy.gif

I would not treat an axolotl that shows no sign of infection, and I would definately not treat a whole tank. Melafix can be toxic in high doses. There is no need to treat the axolotl unless it shows signs of infections. If you feel the need to do something, try an isotonic salt solution in a quarantine tank, as this is much safer.

If she just has the cuts, and they don't get infected, she'll heal well on her own. Do some water changes to remove the melafix, and change the carbon in your filter if you have one.

(Message edited by Joan on May 12, 2006)

i have worked out what happened. The poor thing must have got frightened and hid in this big shell. She then squeezed out the small end and scraped herself- found the piece beside the shell. I read the instructions on the melafix and it said for tail injuries etc etc but it said to put 1 tsp per 4 litres for 5 days- i don't think i will put it in again- the water looks a bit murky today. What ratio of salt do people use per litre of water- i couldn't bear for her to have stinging salt on her sore tail!!

if you read what joan just said its best to only use salt baths or other medication if theres evidence of infection ie. fungus... if your axies tail does get infected then i think its 1 tsp to one liter, but dont put this straight in the tank because the axie should only be in this for about 10-15 minutes or it will iritate its gills i think. put the axie in a seperate container that has the salt bath in it. personally i would just wait untill u see evidence of infection before u start treating the axie.

I'm sure they feel pain, but I doubt it's similar to human pain. They're masters at regeneration, and I would bet that they can 'shut down' nerve endings, and regenerate those that are lost. I'm hoping to see some research about this soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back