Fungus wont go away!!!!! Any thoughts?

S

sarah

I put a post on here a few weeks ago when my mams axie got fungus growing on him after the tanks ammonia level went sky high. He' still got it now, and i was wondering how long this goes on for as i thought it would have cleared up by now. He gets salt baths twice a day, hes been kept in the fridge almost all the time, except when hes having a bath or when were giving him a break from being in the fridge (over night once or twice a week), and he has a daily water change. It seems that every time one piece of fungus goes another one comes thats bigger than the last bit. When i saw him last week he had 2 huge bits on his gills, it looked like candy floss on each side of his head, and although i couldnt tell properly it looked like his toes were shrinking on his left front foot. Ive spoke to my mam today and she said she couldnt tell if it looked like it was starting on his back foot now, but the front hadnt got any worse. He hasnt eaten anything for a good few weeks either. Im out of ideas and dont know what to do now, how much longer is this likely to go on for?

What salt concentration are you using, and for how long? It seems like twice a day salt baths and refrigeration should be doing a better job getting rid of it.

Its either 1 table spoon of salt to every litre of water and hes in there 10mins at a time.

If salt is'nt helping it may be time to try something like malachite green or methylene blue diluted to 0.05% for up to 30 mins at a time.You should be able to buy this from any tropical fish dealer or maybe try one of the fish remedies which will probably contain one of those two.

I said 1 table spoon, but it has actually been 1 T-spoon shes been putting in, should she put as much as 1 table spoon in and try that? or get the medication instead?

I would use a fish remedy,it will have the instructions on the box.I have found a product called TANK BUDDIES is quite effective if you can get hold of it,its in tablet form,be careful not to overdose.good luck Sarah.

My axie had a very bad fungus, and salt baths didn't help. But methylene blue helped really well! Put your axie in a bath for half an hour for 5 days in a row. Then have 5 days off. If your axie still has fungus do the treatment again for 5 days on ,5 days off. Use 1/10 of the amount for fish. My axie had fungus for a total of 5 weeks, but she is perfectly fine now.

But the main thing is to get your ammonia down, otherwise none of the treatments will work. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back