Does my axie have Columnaris? or a fungal infection?

L

lauren

hi! recently I got two axies and they were kinda stressed when they got to me having rode a couple hours in a bucket to get here. They are in a 33 gallon tank with no filter (im getting a new one cuz mine broke)and treated water. They seem kinda sluggish to me but i have never had axies before...all they do is go from one side of the tank to another ocasionally. I feed them salmon pellets. My male I think may have Columnaris....which worries me. it's like a cut or something maybe from stress, and its got a tiny bit of grey stuff on/around it...ill try to get pics. Any ideas what this is???

Please someone help!!!!! I have another question too if you guys can help....I am afraid to use tap water and treat it with the chemicals i bought to remove the ammonia and stuff because im afraid that it will kill them like they will breathe it in and die cuz i dont have a filter yet.....do you think that would happen??

I can't see well enough from the pic, but I think you could give your axie salt baths. That would help regardless if its a bite or fungus. To make a salt bath you need to put 2 spoonfulls of salt to 1 litre of water in a bowl etc, so that it covers your axie totally.Keep the axie there for 10 mins. Do this every morning and night if possible. Also it would be a good idea if you could separate your axies. In case its something infectious, you don't want the other one to get it too..Good luck, and keep us posted how it goes

you can use straight tap water with de-chlorinator added. alot use prime or stresscoat but there are others out there. try to find one that neutrilises chloramines if you have them in your water supply.

they wont die from tap water unless its alot hotter or cooler and they get temperature shock, it contains chemicals which can poison them etc. we all gotta get our water from somewhere and 99% of us use tap water with only dechlorinator added
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back