Skin peeling

S

sin

Howdy, my black axies started having his skin mucus peel (like sunburnt skin) a week ago, at that point in time i worked out that the ph in the tank he was in was too acidic and the ammonia was up and since then he was put into the fridge with daily water changes, he's still peeling now even with the water changes. He's eating fine and his gills look good. Would salt baths be the way to go or are they going to cause irritation?

i dont think you will need to salt bath because your axie doesnt have a fungus or anything its probably just ammonia burns which will heal by themselves. if you start to see signs of fungus or anything like that then yes a salt bath would be good.

After mine got burnt (
sad.gif
) it took about a week and a half to heal up- maybe two weeks. I hope that helps to work out how long the peeling will last. Just remember to keep the water changed and I kept him in the fridge while he healed to speed along the process (don't know if it really helped, but he sure didn't mind).

he's still peeling actually which has confused the hell out of me. his gills are growing, he's eating, ammonia and pH are ok. One of my others has a little bit of peeling happening as well but no where near as bad and the rest of them their skin is fine. I bought some stress coat over the weekend so i've put that in the tank hoping it will settle him down.

Are there any other water properties that could be causing this to happen, i've got test kits for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates and the results come back fine and one of my other axies hasn't started to regrow his gills and i'm just wonder whether the two could be related.

Help my anxie has skin peeling and a gathered blood in the tip of the tail and floating but still breathing and swiming very little wat should i do

(Message approved by ed)

Is your tank cycled? Is it eating? It could be an ammonia spike as in the above case. Take it out and put it in a container with just enough water to cover it so that it will sit on the bottom and put it in the fridge if your fridge is above 5C. Change the water daily and offer food at water changes. These sites will tell you about water cycling and quality. http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/waterquality.shtml
And if you havent already then this site is a good read : http://www.axolotl.org/

My axies skin was peeling when i first got her. Although i dont think it was from amonia burns because it went away within the day. Now everything is ok.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back