Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

GILLS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

T

topher

i was just givin and axie he has no frills will they grow back

A

axel

Most likely will grow back,given the right conditions they will grow back but will be a long slow process. Was most likely due to high ammonia levels which burnt them off. But anyone else feel free to jump in and correct me. Have a pair of axies myself that had no frills at all when I got them but they are very very slowly growing back now. Overall got 10 axies.

T

topher

i asked them how it happened they said he likes goldfish and they normally buy only 8 but this time they bought 15 so they think it was too much for him and they attacked him

kapo

Reaction score
Cud have been a combination of the two, goldfish nibbling at his gills and ammonia levels of the fish (I was told goldfish are quite dirty and have high ammonia/waste levels; esp. with 15!)

T

topher

ok so he will be ok now that he is in a good home how many gold fish should he have in there i have trouble getting worms i can get king worms but they leave shells around when they poop any suggestions

J

jennifer

When people say "I can't find worms" I have discovered that it usually means they don't WANT to find worms. (I suppose this us understandable, really.) Where have you looked to find worms? If you can't dig them outdoors, look in the yellow pages under "bait". Walmart fishing departments usually sell worms also.

kapo

Reaction score
Preferably zero goldfish, but that's just my opinion. If u r able to get any from a bait shop/Walmart or some other shop, maybe it wud pay to setting up a worm farm rather than feeding goldfish. I had problems finding worms, esp. during early part of our summer as our soil is hard clay and I dug up numerous areas of my garden. I now have an established worm farm and compost heap works well too. Since it has been raining I have also been out lifting plantpots/chairs to grab the worms that pop up beneath them and add them to the worm farm too.

T

topher

actually too tell you the truth i never thought of bait shops i have like 5 reptile stores i go to and not all of them carry them but now thats a good idea thanx for the help so he will be ok with out his frills for now right is it ok to take im out of the fridge

L

luke

Just keep the axie with no goldfish, they will eventually hurt it enough so it dies. get an apple snail instead.

A

anna

definately no goldfish is better cause they do produce alot of waste, they do nibble and there is always the chance of bringing diseases in on the fish if u buy them from somewhere. An apple snail as far as I know is a large, roundish yellow snail. I dont know that much about them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!