Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axle hasnt eaten in 4 days

C

coffo

as it says in the title the axalotl hasnt eaten in 4 days its in gravel and have seen it snapping and am wondering should i put it in the fridge for a few days and see if it passes anything?
it was eating fine when i got it and im feeding it barnacles and it seemed to love them

J

joan

4 days is not a long time for axolotls to not eat. I've had mine refuse food for up to a month for no reason. However, if it's on gravel, and you have seen it eat gravel, it may be impacted. I would remove the gravel, and stick the axolotl in a clean container and see if it passes any.

C

coffo

yea thats the thing i have an undergravel filter so wont the sand clog it

and ok ill put it into a container in the morn
should i also put it in the fridge?
and thanks for the info i feel so much better now i know it wont starve for a while

(Message edited by coffo on April 10, 2006)

J

joan

Ugh, I hated my undergravel filter.

Instead of using gravel, you can wrap your UG in pantyhose, so the water will still flow through, but the sand will not.

I wouldn't worry about putting it in the fridge yet, unless it doesn't poo within a week. Once it poos in the tub, you'll be able to tell if it's ingesting gravel or not. You can't really see this if it poos gravel onto gravel.

C

coffo

ok thanks thats really helped me out
sadly ill need to mutilate the tank to get the patythings on though=(

S

sharn

i think sand may compact too much to use a UG filter properly, i say ditch that and the gravel and get yourself a nice, cheap internal. theyre just so much easier to maintain!

it is very possible he has eaten gravel, im not sure ive seen/known of an axie on gravel that hasnt eaten a bit. lets hope he hasnt or is able to pass it
happy.gif
in the meantime offer some axie treats like bloodworms or some garden wormies. something strong smelling or something that moves should hopefully kick in that hunger button hehe

C

coffo

cool but its the money facter im worrying about
well i better get digging

J

joan

You can go without a filter too, as long as you keep up on your water changes.

C

coffo

nah i would need a filter too lazy to do water changes =p
did what you said and fed it a worm and it ate it so all is normal again
and could i use large rocks aboue the gravel or would that not work?

(Message edited by coffo on April 12, 2006)

J

joan

Even with a filter, you need to do water changes to remove nitrates. Having a filter does not eliminate water changes.

Large rocks are VERY hard to clean between.

J

joan

I change 10% of my water weekly, and about 20% bi-weekly because that's when I siphon the sand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1