Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Some kind of cramps / spasm.

M

maja

This morning i thought my axies were fightning, they have never done that before, but then i saw it was my female axie who had some kind of spasms ? Like she couldnt control herself and like she was casping, it looked really scaring. I Putted her in the fridge, with half old water and half new with alot of worms (didnt knew i she had eaten the other day), and tested the tank for nitrit probs, but i had a low nitrit nothing special.
Now she have been in the fridge for some hours, and she looks fine again and she have eaten up.
The other axie looks fine, and there was nothing to see on her. Im so confused, could it be because of their food ? i have feet them shrimps for the winter, i know that theyre not the best but i havnt had anything else to give them. Its just for the latest days i have been giving them worms.

Have anyone tried anything like this ?
Some help could be nice..
happy.gif

J

joão

Well two of my axies had the same problem spasms or something, it was some kind of parasite I think, I used an anti parasite medicine and kept them in the fridge for a while, they turn out ok.
But as I´m not there to see the spasms I don´t know if it is the same thing cause where I work some axies got some kind of spasms too, but they were different from mine, so it can be also the heavy metals in the water cause that was what was wrong with the other axies.

M

maja

what was it called ? the anti parasite medicine..

It looked like she was hurt, she swam all around in the tank with the spasms. and looked like she just wanted to hide. it was veru scaring, i just felt i couldnt do anything
sad.gif

E

edward

If I understand you correctly, what you may have seen could also be covered under flight behavior which can occur whenever the axolotl is startled.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1