Where can I get my tankwater tested for bacteria?

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Sherri
I would like to know if I have some nasty bacteria living in the tank. Does anybody know how I could get this tested?
Thanks in advance!

What kind of bacteria are you trying to determine if its present or absent? Testing for salmonella for example is often not very useful because the axolotl may only shed it intermittantly so any tests may miss it leading to the idea that is itsn't present.
IF you are looking to test for bacteria like Pseudomonas or Aeromonas then this isn't of a lot of use as this are part of the normal aquatic bacteria populations and are pretty much guaranteed to be present.

Ed

(Message edited by Ed on March 28, 2006)

Ed, I was just thinking I may have some bad bacteria in my water cos my axie doesn't seem to heal from fungus properly.I have given her salt baths for over 2 weeks now, but when I stop, the fungus comes back. So all I could think of it must be something in the water??

The problem is that bacteria are essential to a healthy aquarium. I don't know of any simple test that would distinguish good bacteria from bad bacteria. And, as Ed pointed out, a lot of the "bad" ones are always there. They only cause disease when the animal is under some other kind of stress.

Have you tested your water for other problems (pH, ammonia, nitrite)? Can you think of any other sort of stress on the axolotl (tankmates, temperature, etc.)? Do you clean your tank too much, or not enough?

Thanks Jennifer. My axie does get stressed about salt baths, I think, which may be part of the problem. But as I said she gets slightly worse if I don't give her salt baths. Difficult situation!I bought Melafix today, which I will try tonight.The guy at aquarium store said its safe for axolotls (the aquarium shop also sells axies themselves). Should I use less than the amount recommended for fish?
Many thanks in advance

Oh yes, and ammonia is 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 25 (same as my tap water), PH 7,2,temperature 18-20C, so all that seems ok. I change 25% of water every 5 days

(Message edited by sherrisixxx on March 29, 2006)

ive never used melafix on axies before but id do a half dose until others confirm if its safe to do full doses. your water looks fine though, let us know how you get on

(Message edited by sharn on March 29, 2006)

One of the options to try is a fish management option. If you aren't growing live plants in the tank, a teaspoon of the salt per 5 gallon of water in the tank. (This can be increased to a teaspoon per 3 gallons or even higher if necessary). This is not that easy for a lot of people to manage as the salt will need to be replaced when you perform water changes but not when you add water to replace that which has evaporated (other the salt content just continues to rise).

The addition of the salt can help the axolotl osmoregulate reducing stress allowing it better resist the disease.

Ed

Thanks Ed! I put about 5 tea spoon fulls of salt in the tank 2 days ago. (The tank is 50-55 gal, so I guess that's not quite enough!)

Sharn, thanks. Will put half the recommended dose of Melafix tonight for Axelina

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back